Death Penalty?

Do you believe in the death penalty? If so why and why not? I live in Texas in the town they do the execution and I never follow whats going on but I have been reading about this situation for a couple of weeks now. Its heart breaking. I believe in the death penalty and I don't understand why they wait so long and all the money keeping them alive so long.

Here's the storey:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7439097.html

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 2:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I do. When someone is sentenced to death, it for a reason. There are some crimes that just cannot be rehabilitated for. Those people just cannot be 'saved', and IMHO, they are a complete waist of space, money, and they cannot ever be productive members of society. They will never be able to stop hurting or killing people. They were sentenced to death, and are at least given the opportunity to die in a peaceful manor. Whoever they killed did not have that. Personally, I feel they get way too many appeals, one is enough. Now a days with the technology, one is def enough. I know full well some people are wrongfully found guilty. That is what the appeal is for.
    I do not see this as an eye for an eye. I see this as a way to keep people safe, as closure, and as cold hearted as it may seem, it saves money in the long run.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, I do. When someone is sentenced to death, it for a reason

and sometimes its an innocent person.

I thing they should WORK their entire life in prison with NO PERKS....no cable, cigs, YOGA,,,,,,,,,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes I do. Guess it's a good thing I live in Texas! A person on death row has already made their own choices, to take another person or person's life. And, just remember EVERY prison in the country is packed to the rafters with "innoncent people." NO ONE ever admits to a crime! And, if they take a life, they should pay with their life.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yep, I believe inthe death penalty.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• emm hmm
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think it is underused, underappreciated, and ineffective ONLY because criminals are allowed an endless appeals process that costs a fortune.

I think that certain crimes should have mandatory death penalties (murder 1, pedophilia, serial/repeat rape, any DUI that maims or kills another, and for anyone that uses ANY weapon to commit a crime ... not just guns) if there is dna evidence, a confession, eye witnesses, video, etc.

If there is video and more than a few eye witnesses ~ such as the Ft. Hood killer or the scum that fired at Giffords' political rally they should NEVER be allowed to plead 'not guilty' (and if they do their death sentence should be changed to death by slow torture!).

Keeping prisoners alive that commit these crimes is like culturing a substance like Saran gas ... neither is any good for the general public welfare, and there's no guarantee it won't escape and cause more harm.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If there is video and more than a few eye witnesses ~ such as the Ft. Hood killer or the scum that fired at Giffords' political rally they should NEVER be allowed to plead 'not guilty' (and if they do their death sentence should be changed to death by slow torture!).

They should be donated to Science,,,,ALIVE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, I believe in the death penalty. An eye for an eye. You cannot rehabilitate people who commit crimes of hate. I agree with Raine2001 these people are a complete waste of space, and money. Just the risk of having them escape or putting them back into society is never a risk worth taking. Stop protecting the criminals and start protecting the innocent victims, and their families. Crime continues to rise, and jails are filled enough already. Why save a murderer? Since the jails are overcrowded judges are releasing more repeat offenders out into society. This could all be stopped if the death penalty was in force. I will never understand why the death penalty is not enforced.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I do not believe in the death penalty and the reason is because the system is not perfect just like it has been mistakes and people has been sent to prison even when they are innocent at least in some of those cases they can release the inmate and say oops sorry but in the case of death an oops sorry just wont do. When my grandfather was killed I wanted death for the killer but even if that were the case he is not coming back and whatever is done to 1 is going to be done to everyone. And the people who is in for life should work to pay for their food, housing and the salary of the prison personnel no exercise time or school just work until they die.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I do, because there are some people that need to go to assure the safety of others, and I also think the waiting is part of the punishment.

Answer by older at 3:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011