Washing wood floors

we have wood floors in our house. Real wood, installed in the 30's or 40's. What's the best way to wash them? I've tried some cleaners that say they are safe for wood floors but afterwards the floor feels soft and tacky. I don't know if they are treated or not.

pioneergirl10

Asked by pioneergirl10 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Have you tried Murphy's Oil Soap? It's specifically made for wood flooring. I've used it and it works great!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My floors are stained and sealed and I use the Swiffer wet jet system. It works pretty well. They have a formula just for wood floors too.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I used a toothbrush and mild detergent to hand scrub them and dry as I went along. they turned out GREAT too.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I LOVE, I MEAN LOVE my steam cleaner mop. I have a HAAN. It does an awesome job on the hard wood floor and sanitizes them to. I steam clean once a week and once a month I rotate floors and scrub with murphy's oil soap and then steam over it to get residue off.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011