MY STEP CHILD IS 12 WITH HORRIBLE MENSTRAL CRAMPS!!! HELP!!!

my boyfriends daughter is 12 and started her second period yesterday and it's heaver than the first one, she is in horrible pain!! i read online about using a heating pad but we dont have one. she just keeps crying. She took a shower and a warm bath and it didn't help i dont know what to do for her. i need help ASAP!! she took some midol and tynol. can someone help me please.

crl2007

Asked by crl2007 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Advil, warm tea, and anything warm against her abdomen or back. That could be a moist towel warmed in the microwave even.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Some women just have terrible cramps. I do. Sometimes it's diet related, dehydration plays a major role. Also, exercise helps a LOT with menstrual cramps. When my cramps are the worst if I get up and start running or even just walking it helps. You wouldn't think so, but it's true. Have her drink lots and lots of water (about a gallon a day), warm compresses, enough sleep, pain relievers if needed and moderate exercise.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• she seems to be settleing down right now. i feel so bad for her
    crl2007

Comment by crl2007 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Warm hot chocolate or tea, Ibuprofen, a lower back massage, and a heating pad. This would be worth a trip to the store to get one or you can get Thermacare pads for cramps or neck. They will stick on the skin under her clothes, and they last for 8+ hours. They really, really work.
    Also, this would be a good time for her first visit to the gynecologist. They do not have to do an exam, but they know best about treatment for severe cramps, which could be prescription medication or birth control pills. Just tell them that you are there for consult and don't want an actual vaginal exam . . .
    Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thermacare heat wraps. They work really well at night, and she can move around easier than having to sit with a heat pad plugged in... Ibuprofen is best according to my Dr...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Advil, a hot bath... those things help me. Although this might not be possible today, it might help to see a doctor and get some muscle relaxants for next time. Before having kids I had terrible menstrual cramps that I can now say were comparable to early active labour- they were bad enough that they would make me vomit and would have me dripping sweat from the pain. I had prescription muscle relaxants that helped a lot- I would take them the day that I expected my period to come even before the pain started, and it would take the edge off for me (I would still have cramps, but not enough to have me puking and unable to stand up.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Go and buy a heating bad then try uping the dose of tynole or use like motrin that works good i use to have them so bad i would throw up good luck
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Freela: Me too re: vomiting from the pain. I even passed out a few times too.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Hot Bath*~ if you can get her to soak in one! Soothing music would be nice to help pass time but even reading a book can do that! *Hugs* to your lil girl
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would talk to her doctor. They may prescribe birth control pills. My mother had this problem at about your daughter's age and that's what they did for her.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011