White or wheat and how to get a kid to like wheat

do you prefer white bread or wheat bread? I've grown up on wheat, but understand the draw to white bread. At school I'd eat white bread instead of wheat.
my sd doesn't want to eat wheat here; she wants white bread like she gets at her moms. But I don't think its as healthy for her.
Any thoughts/suggestions for me or her?

pioneergirl10

Asked by pioneergirl10 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• first off how old is sd? If she is in school, take a piece of white bread, have her squeeze it into a ball and tell her that what is does in her intestines. Explain to her that wheat bread has healthy grains that give her more energy and also fiber which helps get the germs out of her body. Have he help you toast some wheat bread and put some healthy fruit spread and rave about the nutty taste.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• What about the "whole grain white bread" that they sell now? Looks like white bread with the same nutrition as wheat.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You can now get whole grain white bread. Try that. I'd be willing to bet she doesn't like the TEXTURE of the wheat bread. My kids never had white bread until they were older.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I grew up on white bread and hated wheat and now as i've gotten older i won't even touch white bread. I'd say if its the only option available to her she will end up eating it and liking it.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mabye make her a sandwich with a slice of each so it's half and half. Or go with something else like whole wheat tortillas or rye toast or something that is different than just wheat bread. I don't know, I grew up on wheat because my mom was all about the healthy eating, and whenever we went to restaurants I ordered sandwiches on white and thought it was such a treat.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I only buy white bread every once in a blue moon always wheat so that is what my kids have always known. I would say don't buy the white she will eat what is there.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~... I grew up with a mother who was a hippie and a father who wasa soldier... and we grew up up eating all kinds of stuff... rye is the worst!

They have kid friendly wheat, tastes/feels like white but better for ya
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh, and we grown ups do whole grain, healthier for us... kinda lovin that 12 grain one, but Costco stopped selling it, so snag it at WalMart now!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I grew up on Wonder bread. I didn't want that for my kids. Since they were born I've always bought whole grain bread. I buy Ancient Grains bread and 15 grain bread. They don't know the difference.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i love wheat but will buy white... i also wanna know how old she is, i get my daughter (5) to eat her veggies by acting like its killing me... so i take a bite and make sounds like im killing over and fall on the ground.. she things its funny and she does it too and before we know it all her greens are gone and shes not dead!! lol i know its kinda different to do it that way but she loves it!!! so maybe you can do the same thing with the bread i donno... mmmm now i want some bread haha

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2011