First name basis?

How many mom's out here in Cafemom land have little ones who call them by their first name?
If so, does it bother you and why?

My 5 year old has taken to calling me and dad by our first names. I'm not bothered by it, after all she knows I'm her mom, and she knows hubby is her dad. People question me why I let her do it and I really don't have an answer, I mean it's my name, and I personally don't think she's doing anything wrong. Just looking for other's point of view's I on the issue.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 2:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• ~*Smiles*~... My eldest son was the same way! When he started kindergarten he decided to call me by my first name??? Since he was in therapy dealing with his biological dad issues, the lady stated it was perfectly normal... he did this the following school year too... 1st grade. Towards the end of that year... come to find out he'd been telling everyone, including his teacher I was his aunt that babysat him?!?!?!

He'd always been an extremely bright kid!!! He had the vocabulary of a college student in indergarten and IQ of 220!!!

He's now 15, I know better, and I remind him to never... "Insult my intelligence", and thankfully I'm still SMARTER... I'm 5 ft 5in, and he's almost 6 feet... but I am still smarter!!! Hahahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My dd did that. She called us what people around us called us, for a long time she call her dad "honey" or "babe" because thats all she heard me say, it didnt bother us much. she still does it once in a while.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think it's respectful to address parents by their titles, so I would not allow my children to call me by my first name. I also do not allow my kids to call any adult by their first name, it's Mr or Mrs or Miss
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My 4 and 7 year olds try that with me and I don't answer. It seems a little disrespectful to me. I also spent a LOT of time with my grandparents when I was 2-10. I don't know how many times I heard "Children should be seen and not heard" from my grandfather. The best reason I have for why it bothers me is that I was raised to respect my elders, and for a child to use the first name of ANY adult is disrespectful.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• no. but both my friends kids went thru a phase of doing that I think mom is a special name thats earned.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I don't like when kids call their parents by their first names. It's just disrespectful, IMO. But to each his own. If you're not bothered by it then cool.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My 3 yr old calls me mommy but when I ask her my name she says you have 2 names mommy and 'kay'.

When she was 2 if I didnt hear when she called me or if I was busy she will shout out my name after she said mommy a bunch of times LOL.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• dd thinks my name is mom. i like it like that. in fact, yesterday she called me 'mommy miller' lol
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Kids go through phases of calling their parents by their first names, not a big deal at all. They are using what they hear others use. My 14 yr old calls me Janet when I ignore him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I myself didn't let my kids call me by my 1st name, even though all 3 tried. I'd just politely say, " NO, I'm Mommy to you" and they soon stopped. They ear it from others so they think they can unless you as a parents correct them. I think it's a matter of respect, and the fact that your her Mommy and S/O is her Daddy, your not her friends your her parents and you should be proud of that fact. IMO
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011