My cat nurses on my dog... what's up with that?!?

My dog, a chihuahua mix, is just over a year old. My cat is around 4 or 5 months old(we have 2 almost the same age, the other is younger and does not do this). Both are female. We just recently noticed that the dog, Shiver, is laying down with the cat and treating her like her puppy. She even lets her nurse! It's always on the same nipple, and it's gotten to the point where that nipple is droopy! It's really disturbing! We can hear the cat purring and smacking as she nurses. Our other cat, a month or so younger, does not do this.

Forgot to add: the dog has never had puppies.

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 2:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pets

• Often times when a cat has been weaned too young it will nurse like that. My friend has a kitten that will nurse her eyebrows.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yeap, my two male cats do that. The younger one will nurse on the older one. My other female cat does it but only with blankets. She doesn't do it to the other cats or to us.

It totally has to do with them being weaned too early. And from my experience it doesn't stop, though people tell me differently. They are 3 this year and STILL do it.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We had a dog that never had pups and she would nurse our two kittens that we left out on our farm. They did wean themselves, and she didn't seem to mind.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• WOW! you learn something New everyday! LOL!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011