Routine?

I have read in a few magazines that babies do best when they are on a schedule/routine. Well needless to say, my princess is not on one. And she is wanting to stay up later and later to play, also her naps are not scheduled. What can I do to help organize her days? and is a routine neccessary?

IzysMomma

Asked by IzysMomma at 2:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know your babies age but I do believe routine will make your life, and your babies much less stressful... I always kept a routine.
    Example of a normal day:
    Get up by 7am, have breakfast, have free time to play until around 10am, have a snack, then do something together, whether it's playtime on the floor, finger painting, anything age appropriate. Then Lunch around noon, and then naptime at 12:30-1pm.. Up from nap, have a small snack, and then playtime...Around 5pm it's time to get ready for supper, eat ,family time,bath time, and then I made sure I nursed about an hour before bedtime(about 7pm). Had quiet time after with a book, and then it was time to go to bed.. That was usually about 8pm.. That was my routine...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have found a routine to be very beneficial for me. It helps keep eating and sleeping on schedule, and my DD falls asleep more easily because she is trained to know when it is nap time. I didn't set a routine until she was about 6-7 months old and I really tried to follow her natural patterns that I observed as far as times she would be tired, hungry, etc. Her bedtime routine, for example, is the same every night. After dinner she plays for a few minutes, then it is bath, we put on jammies, read stories, sing songs and into bed she goes. So right when bath time starts it send her signals that bed time is coming, she winds down and gets calm and goes to sleep easily. I think it makes her feel good to know what to expect throughout her day and it makes me feel like I am not just fumbling thru each day without a plan. Try structuring some thing to see if it helps, especially sleep patterns, because tired kids are no fun. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• a routine will make YOUR day easier. i do think that babies/toddlers need a schedule to feel secure though...but, i know how it is...it's not always possible. just think about your day, you probably have one and dont' realize it. it's possible that your little one is starting to shift her sleeping schedule, thus the sleeplessness. hth! xo
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Babies and young children will thrive on a routine that they can predict. The best routine you can make is the one that is set around your baby's natural patterns. If you try to make nap time at 10 when he's wide awake you're going to have a power struggle. BUT if you set nap time up at 10:30 when he's rubbing his eyes and looking tired you'll have an easier time of it.

As for older, toddler type kids, why do you think they want to watch that favorite movie 10 times in a day? They NEED that predictability of if, then.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Bump! I would like to know this as well! My son is almost 10 months and seems as though he stays up later and later every night! I feel like we had such a great schedule until he got sick, and now its extremely hard to get him back into it!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have some what of a routine but not a strict one at all. If things don't go the way I want them to go I don't get all bent out of shape about it. Just find what works for you GL!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 3:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes routine is necessary. Try to bathe her, maybe read a book and tell her before, then it's bed time. Also with a nap routine helps. You may have to put up w/some crying for a few days and nights, but that's the price you may have to pay to get the job done. Just keep putting her down and leave the room, she'll soon get the idea your the Mommy and it's your way as Mommy. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011