Fever

ok so my baby is 14months old and has a temp that we cant break or to go under 101.00 took him to the dr and said he will be fine because hes eating playing and acting normal just with a temp. so how many days do we give him tyenol before it becomes dangerous for his little body.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you switching off ibuprofen/tylenol? check out askdrsears.com. there is great info on doseage and how to help minimize the fever. i personally don't care for tylenol & only use ibuprofen, but that's my personal choice. above all else, you remember to trust your mommy gut if you don't like dr's opinion!! xo
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• sounds like it may be teething but keep an eye and i would switch out tylenol and motrin every 4 hours. I wouldnt give tylenol more then 2 weeks.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much, yet. If he suddenly has no appetite or gets super lethargic I'd worry about dehydration. If his fever goes over 104 take him to the ER immediately. Temps that high MAY cause brain damage if not treated quickly.

For now though, I wouldn't worry...just love and cuddle him extra and take your cues from him and from your Mommy Instincts.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Is the Tylenol helping?

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• nope.... we cant get it under 101.00
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My 16 month has been very sick with a fever and our pediatrician said to switch out between Tylenol and Motrin every THREE hours. She said this way to completely keep the meds in their system and it does not hurt them. It has worked really well for my daughter... :)
    Smartie2019

Answer by Smartie2019 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i would not medicate a fever at 101.
    there are as far as i know 2 schools of thought on fevers...
    1) the fever is literally killing the viral or bacterial invader
    2) the fever is a sign that there is a "battle" going on
    either way, i would not stop or interfere with a fever. i let things run their course.
    there is no reason to fear brain damage unless the temp goes over 107.
    because your baby is alert and active, you have even less to worry about.
    keep your baby very well hydrated, more water than anything else.
    medicating the fever could be preventing the body from getting rid of the "invader", which could just prolong the ailment.
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• imo...any dose of tylenol or motrin harms the little bodies, and the big ones too! if your lo is sick, then giving the tylenol only taxes his little body more, because now his body has to get rid of the tylenol and the "invader"
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011