Kids in Chicago turn thumbs down to healthy lunches . . .

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-new-school-lunches-20110220,0,6830768.story

Am I the only person who is NOT surprised!!

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This is why I, as a mom, packed my kids lunches and fed them myself. I knew they would eat what I sent them. They are my kids and they were my responsibility. My last school age kid is 16. He packs his lunch every morning. My kids also ate breakfast at home. Occasionally breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich, but my kids are my responsibility. I didn't turn over their care and nutrition to the state. I refuse to.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• What is WRONG with the govt that they can only see m to do one EXTREME or the other?! So they serve them cooked veggies with NO salt. Not LOW salt...but NONE! They dont do it gradually but suddenly and WHY are they so worried about the drop in the amount of lunches bought. I PROMISE you a child WILL NOT starve themselves. I cook ONE meal. Thats it. You dont like it you dont eat. My children are all perfectly healthy and RARELY get sick.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• There are ways to make healthy food taste good, as IbelongtoJesus said, they need to cook from scratch and I don't mean with LARD!!! The cooks have had it too easy for too long, just dumping stuff from a container to a pot, doesn't get it...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Michelle Obama needs to butt out of people's food choices. If people don't eat right, they aren't healthy...it's that simple. But really, I remember cafeteria food, and it was bad enough WITH the salt in it. I'm sure it doesn't even taste edible without salt.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Veggies broiled with a little olive oil and some herbs not only taste good, they are good FOR you and they don't need salt at all.

Oh, yeah, you can't get that in little prepackaged plastic nukable containers. Never mind.

When I went to school we had lunches that were cooked. On site. Every day. Served hot. The only lousy thing WAS the pizza because they bought it frozen and the crust was just ... pitiful. There was no 'alternate' menu for 'picky' eaters. There was a small portion of meat, vegetables, a fruit, and occasionally a dessert. They handed out REAL cheese (not that crud wrapped in plastic). The milk was cold and plain white.

Of course, we had gym and recess (and actually played dodgeball) ~ and we played outside after school and all summer. I only remember one child that was 'fat' out of all the grades, and she was on medications. Serving kids gunk that makes them prefer to go hungry is NOT the answer :-(
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• December dropped by about 5 percentage points since the previous year, or more than 20,000 lunches a day.

***
    here. Let those moms pack lunches if they want to, I'd like to see Michelle address obesity when it still remains with packed lunches.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• They are going about this all wrong. First of all, salt and sodium are NOT the same thing. Both should be limited, of course, but sodium found in processed foods has a crap load of other nastiness along with it.

So the veggies don't get salt, but they'll still serve a processed chicken patty? Umm... okay. And the food TASTES bad. There's no reason for yellow rice to be dry, it doesn't get much fat to begin with! If we go to the grocery store and there are samples out, I let my kids try everything. 90 percent of the time they don't want it if it's processed. It's hilarious. They were offering slices of bread the other day, and my three year old spit it out..she said, that's not bread.

I was a little embarrassed (she spit) but pleased the chemical flavors tasted wrong to her.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Not surprised... Many of us have been saying, this about Personal Responsibility.... Increasing costs and mandating different food choices in schools won't make people more responsible... Lazy parents who don't care what their children eat or do for exercise yield lazy careless and ignorant children..... The government can't change that, not matter WHAT they mandate...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm not surprised. When I go to DD's school to have lunch with her I see many kids that turn down the healthier options in their school lunch and only eat the things that they think will taste good (fruit or cookie). Whole grain rolls or breads will go right in the trash. They give kids enough of the fruit and cookies so that they aren't hungry enough to make them eat the whole grain breads or healthier options on their plate.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• This what happens whne we feed our kids junk. They get used to it. I gotta sya though veggies should get some salt untilthe kids get used to it. ANd if your gonna have chicken patties make them by hand. No tprocessed tht is not an improvment. Also cafeteria cooks are so used to just popping stuff in without much work tha they have no idea how to cook by hand. SO we need to train them as well.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 3:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2011