Do your children call adult friends by thier names, or Miss. so & so. (like Brenda or Miss.Brenda) What about yes sir/ma'm ??

I think it teaches respect...
and how old are your children?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• We do the Mrs/Miss but we don't do the sir and ma'am - that's a little too military for me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Nope. And I hate being called Miss Myname (I think it is the opposite of respectful) so she never will. 

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• YES! it is manditory for dd to address adults as Ms. 'X' or Mr. 'X' and use yes sir, no sir at all times. it's the one thing (besides great food and friends) that i learned to appreciate going to university in the south.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If its my friends I don't make them say Miss or Mrs but they do say yes ma'm but elders they do say Mrs/ Mr as well as yes/no sir
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Our immediate friends they just call by their first name. Parents of school friends they call Mr/s. Smith.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was always raised to us mr./ms. when addressing an adult. the only time that you dont is when they give you permission to call them by their first name or they were related to me; then they were aunt so and so or unlce something. i plan on raising my children the same. its the respectful thing to do and kids now a days or so disrespectful. I dont want mines that way.
    ShayMama68

Answer by ShayMama68 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We call teachers Mr./Mrs. Most of the parents call the teachers by their first names, but I've always have called them Mr. or Mrs. My grandma always taught us we call people older than us Mr. and Mrs. However, with friends and my daughters friends' parents, I always ask how they like to be addressed. Every single parent I've spoken to wants to be called their first names. I don't want to offend someone, so I make it a point to ask.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I will teach my kids to be polite and say please and thank you, but I don't like being called ma'am and I don't like sir, so I won't teach them that. I think you can be polite w/o saying sir and ma'am. I don't like the Miss and the first name thing, either. IMO there are other ways of being polite.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mine always call them so and so's mom...like johhnys mom, or julias mom. Its funny. Julias mom, can we have an ice pop? hahaha....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My kids must use Miss, Mr. or Mrs. it may be with their first name instead of their last name but it is still showing respect. I think it is very disrespectful not to and my little ones would be corrected. It is just a habit now. They are 6, 4 and 3.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011