Is it to soon to go out for a little bit without my son?

How old was your baby before you went out for a little bit without them? I kinda just need an hour break to go out with my cousin this Saturday night, my son is only going on three weeks old... Is it to soon? My mom and dad keep telling me it would be good to get out for a little bit because a happy mom makes a happy baby and I am going through post partum "babyblues" as much as I hate to admit it..

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you have reliable sitters like your parents, it is perfectly ok, you need it so do it and enjoy yourself.

Answer by older at 3:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• if you have someone trustworthy to watch your little one, go! it will feel good to get out, and besides, you'll just be thinking of him anyway, and want to get home asap! lol ;o)
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It isn't too soon. I was careful about not taking the baby out in public much before they were a month old but Mom alone is sanity time. I was always lucky that my husband 'got it".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• we went out right away. it felt good to not be one of those "omg, my baby is going to die if we take him out so soon" parents. go do something fun for the day. it will make you feel good. even if it's just going to get groceries lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Go ahead and go. Your child is young enough to not feel separation anxiety. At his age, it's "out of site, out of mind". Find a person you truly trust and enjoy yourself.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If you are comfortable then go. I think I went to the movies with my SO when my first was a couple weeks old. My mom watched her.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yeah my parents would be watching him. I have a bad habit of not trusting anyone with him.
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Go out. He'll be fine for an hour for you to get some relaxtation and get out of the house. He'll probably sleep the time you're away. I understand not trusting someone to watch your child. I'm the same way. Family is really the only people I feel comfortable with watching my daughter. Enjoy yourself!!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My Mom stayed at my house the first two weeks or so of my DD's life and the DH and I went out to dinner a couple of times and it was nice to get a break. My Mom had been there so she was in on the routine of how we were doing things, and we were only a phone call away. I was nursing so I didn't really have a long time to be away, and wouldn't have wanted to anyway, but it was nice to get out for an hour or two and I really didn't worry much. For me, it helped to have my Mom text me a little update every so often so I would know that baby was sleeping peacefully and not crying out for me or something- which she never cried out for me and there was never a problem. If you have a sitter you are comfortable with then I say go. In fact, go anyway even if you are a bit nervous. It's only an hour and it will be good for you to see that you can go out for an hour and everything will be fine.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It is really what you feel comfortable with. For me that would be too soon, but I might look at it differently if we had family nearby.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011