How do I prevent my 4 year old boy from playing "prince charming" and kissing girls? I am starting to think its time for birds and bees? Caught him laying down next to one of his girlfriends and caressing her belly and I think they were going to make out... any suggestions? I was in shock!! adult content

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He must be getting this behavior from somewhere?

Answer by louise2 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• What is he seeing on TV? Might be time to monitor what he's seeing there. Definitely time to talk to him about what behavior is appropriate and what's not. Stay calm, but definitely talk about it. You're setting a precedent for your relationship later when it comes to this topic, and the more open you can be, the better. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I agree with louise2, at that age they mimic what they see. He is old enough to understand Not to just kiss anyone at a whim. Have you explained this? Also telling him about the birds & the bees at his age is like telling a puppy. He is NOT capable of understanding that nor should he be taught yet.
    Anonymous

• He had a lot of girlfriends in school, but the only movie he watched that there was a kiss was "Spiderman" and me and my husband dont even have a couch that we lay next to each other... ( we have the one that has the "console" in the middle) and we have kissed in the lips, but not like I sat there and made out with my husband in front of him...
    He only watches TV in the living room so we can see and no computer access... So the only thing I can think of is if the girls in his school are making him become "the prince" and asking him to kiss them... I have to think that i monitor my child but not sure if other parents do....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• and he has NEVER watched a "princess movie" and I asked his girlfriend this one day what they were doing and SHE answered they were playing "sleeping beauty".... he doesnt even know who sleeping beauty is.... Girls grow up a lot faster then boys, and he has never even talked about princess at home... he only plays ninja and spiderman which is what he likes... maybe he is trying to "fit in" with the girls from his class?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• This happens alot in preschool kids. They are into the "Disney" story and they role play princess and prince. Don't make a big deal out of it, just let him know that he needs to keep his hands and his lips to himself when he is around friends . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• he wouldnt have "made out" with them.. he has no idea what that even is.

the only thing you should be concerned about is him kissing just anyone. you should remind him that while its nice he is so loving & caring of everyone, he needs to keep his hands to himself. do not explain the birds & the bees to him yet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• honestly, no child is too young to mimic sexual activity. my brother was 3 (i was 8) when I one day went looking for him outside in the yard, and the girl from next door and him were in the backyard, pants down, having actual intercourse, his penis in her vagina! I DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING!! AND I WAS OLDER! its not about age or who learns faster. my brother (which i didnt know at the time, and didnt learn til years later from my mother) had walked into my mothers room one night and caught her in the act, apparently seeing much more than she thought he had. i would talk to your son and her parents, and explain to both children a simple version of the birds and the bees. Just telling them that they are too young is going to make them more curious, but explaining that its something you do when youre adult because adults have a different kind of love may help. good luck, and BUMP!
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• WOW...i think I would pass out of I caught a three year old having intercourse... but thank you your answer was very helpful and not judgemental! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much if you are not part of the problem & your child is seeing things he shouldn't from your home or shows you are watching. I think kids get curious about their different "parts" and just keep an eye on him ; )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011