Im very quiet, shy and nice but people make feel...

Uncomfortable and awkward. Everyone at job avoids eye contact me and walk fast away from me like I'm going to rob them. I don't get it! I say hi and smile but nothing. I usually sit at my desk alone and don't talk and I can't change it. I told them I'm just shy and quiet and they usually make a fuss about it and talk behind my back about it or do things to make me feel uncomfortable. I hate and dread going to work sometimes I am so uncomfortable here and at times feel like crying.. How do I deal? Can't quit because I'm a single parent with grown up bills. I'm thinking of looking for a new job but that will be.a process.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• Do your own thing. Bring a book to read at lunch, write in a journal, sit in your car and play solitare on your phone...enjoy the time to yourself.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• There are tons of job sites... depends on what state you live in but ones like Monster.com are pretty universal
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sometimes people mistake shyness for being stuck up. That's their problem. Don't let them worry you out of a job. You need to be the bigger person and ignore them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• People are ASS%^les.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Are you working to earn a salary or to make friends?

Do your job, let the quality of your work speak for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've been in your shoes many times. PM me if you want to talk.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It sucks to be in those shoes, I know. Just because its just a job doesn't mean it doesn't stink. Silly thing that has helped break the ice for me a few times is to put a candy jar out so that people have a reason to approach you. If they take the candy and still ignore you then you know its not you being akward, they are a bunch of losers.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2011