I have HPV and we are trying to conceive... not working.

So, last year (Feb 2007) I had a routine pap after I had my baby and I received a phone call later on from the doctor's office telling me that I have HPV. The girl at the doctor's office broke the news to me and left me stunned on the phone. I guess I was kind of in denial for a while because I finally decided to learn about it... now I'm scared because of all the stuff I'm hearing about cervical cancer. Not only that, but we have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months now and nothing has happened. I've never seen warts or any symptoms... I'm just wondering if it's possible to become sterile from HPV? Can it block the sperm from getting to the egg? I'm still getting my period regularly but no baby... anyone know? (I have an appt. to get checked out next week, wish me luck)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• honey i don't think so but like you give brith i found out.. do they having you go get a pap every 6months...if not you don't have cells yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I really don't think it would happen this fast. You just had anormal pregnancy last year and you may have had the HPV then, too. These things take time to interfere with reproduction and TONS of people have it and carry on normal lives and have normal pregnancies, too. Talking to your dr will be the best thing for now. Good luck!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yeah, I've decided to go to a different obgyn's office. I had no idea that I had to get a biopsy or get regular check ups after the diagnosis. The only reason that I made the appt. was because my friend recently got diagnosed with HPV also and she told me that her doctor recommended she get a biopsy to find out which strain of HPV she has. It was a real wake up call that I can't depend on my doctor's office to inform me... and her doctor even called her into the office to break the news to her and address any concerns. I got a phone call from a medical assistant and it sounded like she was reading off a script about my results... Yeah, I would've appreciated better consideration than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• after I gave birth to my daughter almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed with HPV. I was seen right away for a biopsy and then they sent me a letter telling me about the abnormality and make an appointment asap. Part of it was me because I didnt schedule it soon enough but I ended up having to get the leep procedure which is horrible but they removed the abnormal cells and now I have to go every 3 months for a pap to make sure that it dindn't come back. Both of my sisters also had abnormal pap smears but didnt get a biopsy/ leep and I keep telling them they should go because the longer you wait the more severe it can get. I'm sorry your doctor is so crappy but now that you know I hope everything is fine! Good luck!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• after you meet with a diffrent doctor and he tells you that everything is fine or he has you do other things then I would start planning for a baby, right now take care of you and your body so you can give your baby the best chance at growing and developing healthy and safe.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Your doctor should have run some more tests and should be seeing you more than once a year at this point. There are many different strains of HPV, and you should talk to your doctor about which one(s) you might have.

I have HPV and haven't heard of anyone becoming sterile from it. HPV is just a huge pain-in-the-butt! Have you had a colposcopy from the doctor yet? This is a thing they do to look at your cervix. That will tell them if there's anything abnormal--they will (or should) do that test every 3-4 months for a year to be sure nothing changes.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• There is some great info here about HPV. I just wanted to add about about fertility in general. The average couple taes 3-6 months to conceive. This is a normal couple with no reproductive issues. Medically, you are not considered to have fertility issues until you have actively tried to conceive and failed for at least a year. So, 4 months, though agony to the couple trying, is not unusual and doesn't mean there are fertility issues. I conceived 3 of my 4 boys in 3 months or less. However, it took 7 months with my 2nd son and there is no reason I can pinpoint. Also, just because you are having a period doesn't mean you are ovulating and just because you are not having a period doens't mean you are NOT ovulating. They can occur separately. I would go to your appointment and focus on the HPV, but you can also talk to the OB then about your fertility concerns. Best of luck with everything!
    Mom_2_Boyz

Answer by Mom_2_Boyz at 10:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Thanks for all the support to everyone that answered! If I could choose best answer to everyone then I would... this is why I love CM... I feel so bad about having HPV and after reading the answers from other women in similar situations I feel so much better. You are all so wonderful, thank you. I will definately stop stressing about conceiving for now and I will make sure that everything is ok. Thanks again ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2008