Selfish generation?

I hear a lot of comments that teens these days only care about themselves.

I don't think teenagers were any different when I was one. Sounds like it's all part of growing up.

IMO it's the opposite overall. I was a teen of the 80s and seems like we mostly spent our time on video games and watching MTV, now a lot of them are out volunteering in ways we never did. My youth group volunteered here and there but nothing like so many teens of now.

Sure, they want things like coach purses, we wanted Calvin Klein Jeans.
they have things like x-boxes and Wii games, we had things like Atari.

the things they have/want aren't cheap, but neither were a lot of things we had for the time.

I don't think the kids of today are so bad :)

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I hate to hear people talk about teenagers this way. My 17 year old twins are respectful, do their chores, say please and thank you. They complement our cooking and thank us for dinner. They ask to be excused before they leave the table. They do their own laundry and do as their told. And their friends are polite, friendly and respectful too. I keep waiting for them to rebel, but they don't.
    I think it's because my husband and I treat each other with respect and we treat the kids that way too. I think you reap what you sow. Or, I'm just plain lucky.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." - Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i don't know if they are selfish, but they are a "wanting" generation. just like mine
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sometimes I do think they are selfish. Then I remember being a teenager,my brother & I at times were pretty selfish. Teen now not anymore selfish then my generation was I know I see a lot of demanding and they seem to just expect things to be given to them at whim; but we live fairly close a high income families.So it is not fair to assume all teens are like this.
    ladygetz

Answer by ladygetz at 5:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It's all part of being young. This generation is no different than all the rest.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I see teens being so different from when I was one, and that wasnt too long ago, Im 22. I see them having more attitude then I and my friends did. I think its the fact that parents have changed and manners are not as imprtant anymore. My little brothers friends, Dhs little siblings and their friends seem like they never say 'hello' or 'goodbye' when they come to your house of get in the car, no 'please' or 'thank yous'. And always have that look on their face like Im too good for you, no matter what it is. We had all out familys teenagers at a dinner party once and the whole time they had this smug look on their faces, I know if I had a look like that on my face, my mom would smack it off.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have to agree w/ jodi205 on this one. While I understand some of it comes w/ just being a teen, this generation tends to be more disrespectful to authority, has a huge sense of entitlement & doesnt was to work for or earn what they want. I think the real world will end up slapping them in the face w/ a big dose of reality.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• we were told more often to do as adults say without question, but seems that now that has changed since they were realizing that so many of molested children thought that they just had to do what a adult said to do.

Maybe those with teens can ask them if they get everything they want, my guess is they don't.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am a member of the activist generation of the 1960s and 1970s. I see so much apathy among the teens on CafeMom; no interest in politics, or much of anything outside of their small towns.

I am lucky to be raising a future civic leader, active in her community and with a drive to be a leader.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am finding the other opinons very interesting, but IMO those that were older than us had the same complaints about us.
    I still like the idea that they are volunteering even if it is a requirement of something else. I think they can benefit from it in many ways.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2011