What is the going rate for a babysitter? And what are somethings to ask a sitter? I have never hired a sitter and from where I am you can't trust people either.

The reason I ask is because I am pregnant 4.5 months and I am thinking of putting an ad on craisglist to hire someone in my home. I was thinking of using them a couple times before I have the baby so I can get my girls use to them and also thinking about using them for doctors appointments and then when I go to have the baby I was wanting someone to come overnight. I have noone that is why I am doing it this way. If it works out I plan on keeping her and using her a couple times a month so DH and I can get out once in a while because I never get that I am a SAHM. I was wanting to know how much to charge someone to watch my girls. Both potty trained. My youngest just turned 3 and my oldest will be 6 in 2 months. How much do I charge an hour for 2 kids? How much do I charge for onenight overnight for 2 kids? I plan on having the sitter come one time to see how she interacts with my kids should I charge her to do that? What questions should I ask?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• $5 an hour... or $200 a week???

~*IDK*~... check your local daycare centers and cut your cost below them!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Im scared to hire a baby sitter. Thank God I have teen age kids that can watch the little ones. My suggestions is that you do a complete back ground check on them. You as a mom should have a good or bad feeling when meeting them. If you meet them, make sure they arent over the top nice...that is kind of fake to me. I would except someone that seems real, and I have a good feeling about. It they are to nice right off the bat, like extra sweet...I would kind of be like..hmm are they serious about being this good to my kids. Dont get me wrong, maybe they would be..but I just wouldnt by it. I would make sure I sat down with my kids and tell them no matter what they can tell me anything that bothers them. You will get a feel whether your kids like her or not. Just trust your motherly instincts. ;)+

bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• sittercity.com is a good place to look most o them have background checks and references. Don't use craigslist you would end up with some weirdos calling you. When you do invite someone for a interview make sure you are not the only adult in the house.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I pay $5 an hour for a 3 and 5 yo. I would ask for training and references. Also if you are going to be using her late or while most people are at work, ensure she drives and has a working car. Find out if she is CPR and First aid trained. What experience has she had, does she has any with newborns. What does she usually do with the kids? And yes you have to pay her if she is with the kids.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I agree..w/ Matthewscandi .. I've heard nothing but good things about sittercity.com
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• To find a sitter, there is no way I would use Craigs list. I would call your local church, red cross (they do babysitter certification), local Y may have some names, Girl Scout office may know of some. You could put a posting at the local collage a well, maybe in the Elementary Ed, building. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have noticed its different depending where you life, so ask some of your friends. Where i live its about 2.50 hr to 3.00
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• definitely depends on where you live... so. ca rates are in the $8-$10 range...wish i lived in an area where it was only $5 an hour
    monstersam

Answer by monstersam at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011