Can cats have diseases?

My cat was out for about 2 days. He's mostly a house cat but he got out and stayed out for 2 days. I treated him for fleas and ticks but could he bring in any diseases? I heard that cats do have diseases and can transmit them to humans and also if and when my cat has worms what do I look for and which ones are dangerous for both him and my kids?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 2:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• I have heard that their diseases are not transmittable for the most part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• To humans that is
    Anonymous

• You will find little white maggot things in their poo or on their butt. You can treat this and don't let your kids hold them if you discover they have worms. Worms aren't really dangerous as far as I know as long as they are treated. I had worms once as a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• that is highly unlikely. As long as he is updated on his shots there should be no problem. I grew up with outdoor cats as pets and we never got anything. Plus, this is not flea and tick season so the odds of that are slim, too. It sounds like you are really worrying alot about this but you should relax. He is an animal. he was curious about the outdoors but unless he got into a fight with an infected animal (again, RARE) there is little for you to worry about.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Technically cats can transmit rabies to humans, but if the cat has a rabies vaccine this isn't a concern. Cats can also transmit toxoplasmosis, which can be dangerous for pregnant women. It's also why women are advised not to clean out a litter box when pregnant. If a cat (or a dog) has hookworms and roundworms it's possible to be passed to humans but as long your cat is healthy this shouldn't be a worry.

Your cat should probably be fine, but if you're worried about it having worms or any health problems because of it's time away, then you may want to bring it in to the vet for a check up.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 2:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• ummm, they can transmit ringworm to humans, which is not a worm it is a fungus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't think you're in much danger since the cat was only out for 2 days. Most diseases they can catch are only transmittable to other cats.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I know that cat POOP can cause disease in the fetus of a pregnant woman, we had to get rid of our kitty through the duration of my pregnancy cuz she was an inside kitty and had a litter box
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2008