Help with Teaching a 4 year old..

I am in the process of trying my hardest to teach my 4 year old SD how to read and count and write. I need advice on good ways to do this. She doesnt get taught anything when she is at her moms. I feel she needs to know theses things since she will start school this coming up fall!! Any advice? I checked into the Your baby can read and its 200 and we dont have money for that right now. Any other programs or books or anything that could help?

**EDIT** I guess I should have said this differently. My SD knows how to say her numbers 1-11, but she doesn't know how to count something using those numbers. She does not know her ABC's at all. I am working with her, but dont know how to approach it all.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The first step is getting her to know EACH LETTER and the sound it makes before you even ATTEMPT having her try to read any words. I suggest www.starfall.com, The Letter factory DVD by Leap Frog, and magnetic fridge letters by Leap Frog. All of the products really helped my DD with letter recognition and sound. Oh, I also have the BOB books which are great.

My advice, focus on ONE to TWO letters a week.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Before she can read and write, she has to be able to recognize the letters and numbers. Then the sounds. Before she can write she has to be able to draw simple lines and shapes. The BEST way to teach letters and sounds is to READ to her, pointing out the letters and such. DO NOT force her to learn how to read, she will learn when she is ready and 4 years old is young to learn how to read. Get her some workbooks from Walmart for writing. Make it fun. Don't make it work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• my daughter is in pre-school & did not know how to read or write before she started. she just recognized her numbers 1-10, abc's, shapes & colors. 1 month into pre-k, she perfected writing her name & can write all her abc's & numbers, even though they haven't covered them all yet. by valentines day, she was able to recognize all her classmates' names on the valentine cards. don't worry. she'll learn everything she needs to know in school. but it never hurts to go the extra mile with preparation. help her write her name in dotted lines. she won't get it at first, but it's amazing how fast kids learn. don't try to overload her with information so she can be best. she'll do fine, even with an empty slate. that's what school is for. as long as you are very involved while she's enrolled, she's sure to be a success.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 5:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The best way I have learned to teach a child that young is turn it into a game. Sing the ABC song, read books to her pointing out words, buy letter and number magnets and make words on your fridge, get the wooden blocks with numbers and letters on them and make words, ask her to find certain numbers or letters for you. Try to make things as fun as possible-it seems to be the best way to teach young children. She will learn in school, but it never hurts to give them a head start. Just don't push too hard, or she will not want to do it. Good luck!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Write words in large print with poka dots and have her trace them. Get her use to the first letters in words. And show her letters.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• they have the your baby can read at walmart. its in volumes...i think the first one is less than $20. but i have found just singing the abcs and doing my own flash cards work good to
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

dreamangel06

• Interaction, attention and verbal rewards will be very helpful. You can read anything and everything together. Have her point out the letters she knows and let her know what the ones are that she has trouble with. If she really likes a certain word go with it, have her try to copy it. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• teach her the abc song , take her to the library and check out some books to read to her.there are work books a the dollar store, walmart and walgreens that are for pre schoolers. when you are helping her to not get mad @ her and do not push you do not want her mom getting mad @ you. when mine were little when i bathed them i would spell easy words for them . while washing them .
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• also find out who her favorite charcters are and see if they have a video on counting and things like that ,. I know sesame street , blues clues and bear in the big house does
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011