Is there a flea control for puppies born 1-2-2011 if not what do I do?

I got my 1/2 shih tzu 1/2 pekingese when he was 5wks and he had fleas really bad and they seem to be multiplying what can I do for such a young puppy?

Moebetta1

Asked by Moebetta1 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pets

• Call your vet, they will probably tell you to put a TINY drop of frontline on your pup but, call them first. That is what we had to do with my mom's kittens.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• give him a bath, put some tea tree oil in the dog shampoo,, he might also have worms, so be sure to take him to the vet, your also probabnly going to have to flea bomb your house!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Fleas can be treated on puppies, but contact your vet to find out the best way. Fleas are very hard on puppies, especially small breeds. Good luck.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Call the Vet's office. My dog is on Comfortis. He takes it monthly and it prevents fleas. Since he's been on it, he's been great, but I know it goes by weight.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Give your puppy a bath using plain old Dawn dishwashing liquid. Wet him, soap him up starting with a good thick ring of soapy bubbles around the neck and close to the ears (so they don't all migrate immediately to his face). Rub the rest of him for at least five minutes. He shouldn't be standing in water while you do this, you want ALL of him to be very soapy and bubbly! Make sure to get his little arm pits, the insides of his back legs, etc. Just before you rinse him off wipe his face with a damp washcloth. If you see a lot of fleas, keep wiping it.

You can do this every day until you aren't finding fleas, but you'll also need to vacuum very well all of those days, especially where he sleeps and plays. I've used plain salt and/or Borax in the house as well. Do a room at a time, dust the floors/upholstery with it, let it set overnight, vacuum the next day. Fleas are mean little parasites, but you don't have to keep them.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• WHY do you have him at 5 weeks old? He is far too young to have left his mom.

You can not bathe a dog everyday...it will dry out his skin and make your issues worse. there are no flea treatments that you vet can prescribe that are safe for such a young puppy.

You can try Dawn as a PP suggested.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Acid ~ I wasn't recommending washing the pup every day indefinitely. If she doesn't wash him each day until the ones in the house are gone he'll just be reinfested each day. Five weeks is too young (imo) for a puppy or kitten to handle a heavy flea burden. A good conditioner such as Mane and Tail or just some olive oil added to the final rinse will handle dry skin issues for a few days (in fact, if the puppy has a lot of bites, the olive oil would be best.

I hate the 940 character limit ... should have just continued it in the first place.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Farmlady09 gave u my answer. Dawn dishliquid is awesome. Be sure to pick as many of the fleas out of his coat as you can after his bath. Salt in the carpet or rugs is great. We got fleas so bad in one of the bedrooms, that I went down to the $store & bought 2 or 3 bottles of plain alcohol & poured it on the floors. It shouldn't hurt the floors. We had hard wood floors, but I was desperate & willing 2 try anything at that point. The fleas were gone after that & never had another problem with them. BTW the flea bombs don't work.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sorry, farmlady, I know you were saying to bathe him everyday indefinitely. I also hate the character limit. You're posting and forget then have to delete a ton and then forget what you said.

I am still wondering why the puppy is so young. Olive oil is good for dry skin...it's also good for dusting your furniture.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• *weren't*
    Acid