I've become selfish with my time.

I know I'm on here wasting time as well, but I wanted to see if any other moms have gone through the same thing?
I have tons to do, 4 kids and instead of getting things done and going full force/100% I sit around on the couch watching tv, let the laundry pile up and let my husband do it all, same with the dishes. I have school work that I don't get done until the very last moment, stressing myself and my family out.
I've been very selfish with my time.
So how do I retrain myself to give all of me, without having a pity party that "i'm doing it all" or having the mentality that "why should I do this"
I know a lot of you are going to say I'm selfish and I should be doing it for my kids...I know this, and this is why I'm asking how to change back into a dedicated mother and productive person?????? I need help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• are you depressed maybe?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes, my husband and I have had a lot of issues in the last 6 months, but the depression and the need to relax has now turned into being overly selfish on my part, making excuses to "relax" or not get stuff done. I'm tired of being like this, and I want to be back to my productive self without feeling entitled to EXTRA time to relax. I've basically taken advantage of the "down time" instead of bouncing back and working as hard as I ever did before the problems came about.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think you realizing you need to get moving is probably the first step. What if you start small and build up rather than trying to "do it all"? You can start by washing the dishes and then move to maybe every other day doing more of the clean up.... set up a laundry day or two and alternate. That way you are doing some but not all and you can contribute.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 6:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i have this problem also. i will sit down for a minute before doing something and not get up. or i will just never start at all. what i have been doing is i make a list of everything that needs to be done in a room. and that is my goal for the day. as soon as i get up, i start working and don't stop until the room is at least half way done. i don't plan on getting more than one room done a day. if i can do more, it's good, but i don't plan on it. this doesn't work everyday, but i just try again each day. and each day i try to go a little farther than the day before.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 6:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have the same problem, so you're not alone.

Happy-go-lucky, that is a good plan. I'm going to try that.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you gone to counceling ? Talking to a therapist can help. how old are your children? are they old enough to help around the house ? if not see if you can get a friend or someone from church to help you out some. helping each other is always good. Take a family vacation or take a day to be pampered. talk to your husband and tell him you would like an evening a week to yourself just to do what ever you want
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I get this way too sometimes. Actually the last week I have been like this lol You just need a break sometimes & if you dont get one from time to time or nobody makes an effort to give you one then this is how it becomes. You just hit the end of your rope & become selfish for a bit of time (now there is a point when its too long of a time frame & you should look into maybe being depressed etc). I have this issue we live hours away from all family, my daughter has barely ever been away from me in all her three years, SO dosent make much of an effort to give me a break but seriously twice a year which isnt enough. So here I sit in bed on the laptop watching hulu, doing cafemom, farmville etc barely keeping the house from becoming condemned haha I will knock out of it soon here I always do then clean the house top to bottom & be back to "normal" for a bit! Your not the only one!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011