Milestones

DH's mom said that he never learned to roll over and when he learned to crawl he pretty much just scooted, due to his weight as a baby.

My DD is having the same problem, she's almost 6 months and still isn't rolling over (although she probably could if she put just a little more effort into it) and still isn't crawling. My oldest DD was rolling over/sitting up by 4 months and crawling by 6 or 7, so I'm kinda concerned.

Has anyone else had problems with developmental delays? Explain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt call it developmental delays just yet... I think thats a little harsh... some babys do things slower than other you cant compare one child to another. and some children will walk before they can crawl... She'll do things when shes ready just give her some time. my first son walk at 9 months and my second was almost a year old, my first son didnt start talking till he was almost 3... he's fine no problems just was a little lazy.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Our doc wasn't concerned as long as they were moving in some way by the time they were 9 months old. My son rolled, but not often and NEVER crawled, but he did scoot every where and he walked at around 13 months and is now 5 years old and one of the most academically advanced in his class.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• There is a great listing of developmental milestones here:  http://www.touchpoints.org/approach.html

I strongly recommend the book, Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton, you should be able to find it at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Get on the floor with her and work with her. How did she do with tummy time? I would think she would be just fine.
    Anonymous

• My older son had some delays, but they resolved quickly. I think he was just a slow to get moving kinda kid. lol He is completely normal now, and way ahead on his speech and language development. I wouldn't worry so much about it- she will get it when she is read, Mama! Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My 4 month old isn't even close to rolling over and she only sits up with some assistance... everyone goes at their own speed!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 7:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have 2 children with developmental delays...i am now going to school for a masters in early intervention to eventually help other families with this issue. My 2nd born son has Down Syndrome so there was an explanation for his delays, in fact he didnt walk until he was 2 1/2, but my 4th born son is just not sitting up at almost 10months and has hypotonia for no apparent reason as of yet. He only rolls from belly to back, but is beginning to roll from back to belly. I would not be too worried yet if i were you. Some babies are more motivated than others to roll, crawl sooner than others. Maybe you could try to put a favorite toy beside her to encourage her to move. tummy time is great for as long as she will tolerate it. If you are concerned, talk it over with your pediatritian.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011