NOW I understand!!

LOL...I've long felt what this article mentions to be true...that sometimes I'm arguing with a robot, ever since learning back in 2008 that a top member of Obama's Campaign hired people to infiltrate social networking sites to promote their messages and to try and discredit the opposition!! :o)

"The US government is offering private intelligence companies contracts to create software to manage "fake people" on social media sites and create the illusion of consensus on controversial issues."

***

"According to the contract, the software would "protect the identity of government agencies" by employing a number of false signals to convince users that the poster is in fact a real person. A single user could manage unique background information and status updates for up to 10 fake people from a single computer."

http://www.examiner.com/social-media-in-national/us-gov-software-creates-fake-people-on-social-networks-to-promote-propoganda

How do you feel about this?? Do you think this tactic is effective?! Do you think it's really necessary?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 6:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a subversive gov't operation that we are having to pay for. It means we can't trust that what we are hearing/reading to be a true opinion or a paid for opinion. Seems like a misappropriation of public funds. I think we have a couple of these 'plants' on CM. Oh, wait, Hillary is always accusing people of being a plant!!!! Now I know why she would suspect such a thing. It is something they do!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• LOL, interesting.

Do I think it's effective? I guess for some that don't want to do their own research.

Is it necessary? If you don't have a solid platform to run on, it could absolutely be necessary. Especially to capture the youth vote.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Why am I not surprised Bush and Palin got brought up in this thread?
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• How do you feel about this?? It sickens me, but it does not surprise me one little bit.

Do you think this tactic is effective?!  I'm not so sure it will be. On some sites, such as here where there are profiles, etc that people can check out I would think the "fake" people could be exposed pretty easily.

Do you think it's really necessary?!  Wow, that's a loaded question. With the way they have mismanaged things and more people waking up, so to speak, I think they are flinging everything they can at the wall to see what will stick. I do think it could easily backfire on them. They seem to be getting somewhat desparate, or at least they look that way.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Well, I think this explanins a few things right here on cm!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sure explains a lot to me!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think it's pathetic, and indicative of the depraved, morally challenged ick masquerading as elected servants in the US today.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Alinsky is their guru... One of their fav's... Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

How do I feel about this? It sux but I am not surprised, they have our money to burn, on whatever they choose...

Do you think this tactic is effective? Yes, as far as annoyance, a computer program will never vary from it's programmed point of view, just like the ever ready bunny, it will go on and on...

Do you think it's really necessary? To them yes, so they can play their head games. The fact is that the majority of the U.S. citizens do not support what this admin is doing or has done, so they ignore us but they know we are here. Being that we are just a nuisance and not worthy of actual human debate, they'll just set up computers to "war game" with us... tic tac toe, anyone?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It's common knowledge that "bots" exist. I've posted about it before. It's not just government, it's any industry that does advertising. Social networks are the cable of the twentieth century... instead of us listening to a smiling man with gleaming white teeth telling us to buy "X", we are listening to a 'friend' online. We've managed to all but eradicate (DVR, adblock) the advertising industry, they are simply keeping up with the times.

And the people that claim it doesn't happen? Well, those are the accounts I'd check first.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Janet are you really that naive???? You really have no idea do you how far the US Gov can go, do you?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 a minute ago

I doubt it. She's Canadian.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011