What's a good dog breed to get to be around young children?

I want to get a puppy (not right away) for my son. I used to have a maltepoo and I was thinking about getting another one. Does anyone know any other small dogs that are good with kids? I don't have room for a big dog and I love small dogs. Any advice?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pets

• ~*Lab*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't go to small because kids are careless and don't mean to hurt but they do. Maybe a beagle or something that will get a little bigger. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• good thinking aheuszel
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have always had boxers and they have been great around my children and other children.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Labs, we got ours when my son was 3 and i swear he could do anything to her and she never touched him, she was very protective over him. they are great with kids. I have noticed that bigger dogs are alot sweeter, the little dogs can be more aggressive with kids. just my opinion though.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have a maltese and he hates children.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Pugs
    ladygetz

Answer by ladygetz at 7:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i've always had big dogs around my kids and they have always been really good playing and protecting the kids. i got a smaller dog for my last child and alls it did was jump on her and scratch her. it was sooo nerve racking thank god my step son offered to take her.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Do your research online, each breed should have a description and tell about their temperment. I have to say I agree with the smaller dogs tending to not get along with children so well. Some seem quick to snap and some seem too nervous around children. The bigger breeds seem to do better with children. Of course, supervision is always best with young children and any breed of dogs. Also maybe try and buy from a breeder where the dogs are around children and family. My mom has a Boston Terrier (small dog) he seems to do well with my 5 year old son. The good thing is you are doing your research, so continue to do so and hopefully you will find the perfect breed for your family.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Golden Retrievers are great with kids
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011