*divorced moms* how soon?

How soon after you filed or responded did you start getting spousal support and child support?

koensmom22

Asked by koensmom22 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Are you sure you are eligible for spousal support? It took me 30 yrs to get my cs
    Anonymous

• In Wi where i live you have to be married 10 yrs to get sposual support.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Didn't get spousal support, we were only married for 6 years...in most states you have to have been married for at least 10 years. My ex was a full time student living off a very part time job and student loans (which don't count as income) so he was only ordered to pay $25, which he would just send directly to me....that started the next month after the divorce was final. However now the man is unemployed and I haven't even seen that lousy $25 since october, lol
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was getting it before the divorce was final. My ex agreed to do the right thing though. To finalize divorce took FOREVER.

Anonymous

• My husband's ex got it immediately - before they were technically divorced. (In California and married for 25 years)
    KarenT214

Answer by KarenT214 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes i will get spousal support, Ive seen an attorney. He works for the government so i can set it up to have the money come out of his checks before he ever even sees it. I just forgot to ask her how soon I could start gettting money!
    koensmom22

Comment by koensmom22 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Anon, that would make a difference i'm sure, my ex was so broke he didn't answer it and it went into "default" He was served at the end of April and on June 6th my divorce was final....so for me it was easier than average.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i live in ca it will take 6 months for the divorce to be final, so august 2nd is the day it should be final. I Hope!
    koensmom22

Comment by koensmom22 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I got child support 2 months after filing for divorce. My attorney got us a date with a mediator and we put in place some temporary orders (child support, custody, etc.) until the pre-trial court date.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011