My husband's family and babysitting?

My husband's family ask me all the time why I don't leave my kids with them. Well for one thing I'm a SAHM and because of that we don't have money to do fun stuff to get a sitter. Another my MIL is always so busy every time I ask her if she wants to come see them she either has to rearrange her scheduled or she doesn't come. It's my husband's Aunt who wants to watch my youngest all the time and we are having a little girl in the summer and she keeps talking about she is going to come over and take one of the little ones to give me a break. I don't want a break. My youngest son right now doesn't even go to her! Her house isn't baby proof and she has a little dog that poos everywhere in the house, of course my son will pick it up and eat it! UGH!!! How do I say no thank you without being rude?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 7:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just tell her that you still feel funny about leaving baby. Any mom will understand.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• maybe have her come over and watch your lil one at your house?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... I know the feeling!!! only for me, I fear others wouldn't have the patience I have, and we don't believe in spanking, so I'd rather have my kids with me than in therapy later in life.. hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would tell them you appreciate the offer but don't need it @ this time. if your youngest son don't like her than there is a reason kids usually know when someone isn't nice.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 7:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'd just have them babysit in YOUR HOME, rather than go over there.
    There's a difference in coming and seeing your kids and babysitting for you. Are you saying your not ok with them babysitting for you?
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying I don't want them to babysitter but I don't need a baby sitter. When I go shopping I want to take them with me and when I do need a babysitter I do prefer they watch them at my house.
    aheuszel

Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• *babysit
    aheuszel

Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Tell her if you ever need her, you will call her...and just don't call. Thank her for her offer & tell her how sweet she is & all that. If she pushes you, just say "things are a breeze right now & i don't need the extra help, but you rock for offering"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sometimes it is better to just say no, thank you. I would rather their feelings be a little hurt than put my children at risk. If you let the Aunt watch him, you'll be worried the whole time.

Maybe you can redirect the offer...for example, ask her to come over for lunch at your house and watch you son while you work on the nursery or take a rest upstairs. This way you know he is safe and you are close by just in case.
    CSUZANNE813

Answer by CSUZANNE813 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We have some of the same issues with various people in our extended family. The ones who complain that they never see our children are never saying yes when we want to do something, used to cancel on us all the time and even put us in a pinch a few times, but expect us to say yes when they ask, and get mad when we can't. It ends up in arguments, so we just don't get together much and that's fine with us because life is easier without the tension that radiates from them when we're together. Another relative has a house with carpet that stinks to high heavens from her dog, and there isn't a spot of carpet left where there isn't a stain. We try to get together at our house or a neutral location. We refuse to let our children play on the floors there.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 10:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011