College kids and paying rent

Ok I am wondering how do these college kids pay thre rent? I know some have part time jobs and some have parents that can chip in but really.....how do they make it? Mommy and daddy have to be paying a lot. Is it student loans or what? I live on a campus and I think how are these kids able to afford like $500 rent, utilites (that are not covered in rent), personal needs, transportation, and shopping money?

I'm not understanding something.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 7:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Some are just hard working kids. I know at least a handful of college students that are doing it 100% on their own. They work full time and are going to school fulltime.
    Student loans are helpful.
    I don't see the big deal in "mommy and daddy" paying for their schooling as long as they are making the grades. It's not a bad thing to do for your children as long as they respect and appreciate you and the money your spending on their future.
    Anonymous

• yes it is not a bad thing if the child is doing the correct thing I see no issue with that either. Just sometimes I think about that like wow "how are they making it?" Subconsciouly I am socially comparing ppl to myself. I have asked my dad for help when I haexhausted all other options and really need help. I make sure I've really done everything possbile before I go that route though...not embarred to ask just don't like to anymore.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Student loans and some cases working at some kind of job.
    ladygetz

Answer by ladygetz at 8:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Roommates, student loans, grants, scholarships, work, parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i think its a combo of things, some of us can rember our collage "house" and living cheaply
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• yeah one friend has 3 other roommates and pays like 375 a month. which aint bad. Wish I could stand living with people cause I wouldn;t mind living somewhere cheaper and still be safe lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• A lot of them don't have kids either. You would be amazed if you looked at how much you spend at the store on food as compared to before you had kids. Not all that diffrence is inflation. It is also easier to work more hours with school if you do not have a 4 year old trying to make a pool out of your bathroom.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• is not
    Alanaplus3

• yeah that is another major thing. They do nothave kids so they don;t have to pay for major expenses like childcare and diapers. Those are my niggest problems. Childcare a semsster can cost me anywhere from $1600 -3200 a semester. And buying double the amount of diapers and wipes because the daycenter does not supply it. I won't even figure in transportion cost.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Student loans and grant money can be used for any expenses associated with college, including room and board whether you live on or off campus. My oldest daughter works to support herself.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011