How do college kids make it?

Ok I am wondering how do these college kids pay thre rent? I know some have part time jobs and some have parents that can chip in but really.....how do they make it? Mommy and daddy have to be paying a lot. Is it student loans or what? I live on a campus and I think how are these kids able to afford like $500 rent, utilites (that are not covered in rent), personal needs, transportation, and shopping money?

I'm not understanding something.

I grew up by a very well know university and the kids always complained they never had any money but they had to have something. They all had name brand clothes, nice cars, no worries (some had part time jobs or piad interships), partying, and the newest gadgets. To everybody else they were rich..but they constanlty harp they are poor. What gives?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I never understood that either. I worked my way through college, got married and supported my husband as he went to school full time. There were always those kids that had fancy cars, clothes, new Coach bags and jewelry.. ipods, laptops... haha you name it.

The only way we made it was working hard, and utilizing student loans. Now the tough part is paying back the student loans. Those things are rediculous.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I lived in an apt with DH (bf at the time) when I was in college. I had FT classes and a PT job. DH worked FT. We both paid our apartment expenses with the money we earned. As for my schooling, my dad paid for all of it, which I VERY MUCH appreciated. I know a lot of classmates who graduated with loan debt.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I know my niece lives on campus, she got a full ride to school, so her parents (my brother and his ex wife) pay for her room and board. She works part time for spending money and food (that is if she is not at home or my mom's picking up leftovers)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Probably student loans...which may seem great at the time, but they'll pay them back exponentially later.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have had three children attend college in the past 9 years. Student loans, grants, and part time jobs still didnt' pay for new clothes, school necessities, utilities, or just fun stuff. Mostly they called mom. Now they AND mom have loans to pay back. It's tuff. Good luck to you.
    suijuris

Answer by suijuris at 10:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My live in a home that I own- I foot the bills. They go to school, work PT. UC (University of CA) tuition is about what I paid for my kids to go to private HS. I've been paying for school for my kids since they were 3-It's one of the reasons I maintained my career-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think a lot of it has to do with student loans. They're at an all time high right now. Lots of experts are beginning to say that student loans might be the next big bubble.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Also living in an aparment is often cheaper than dorms, especially once you factor in the ability to cook every meal for yourself.
    Working during the summer and winter breaks provided my money for college. Also a paid internship helped a lot. Grandmom paid for tuition but I covered everything else. I also got a small amount in grants. Clothes come from the days of living at home, my parents bought all my clothes. In college, they didn't buy me very much new clothing, but kids finally stop growing at that age and don't need new clothes all the time.
    And of course so many kids have loans now. Kids also says they are poor because they have no pocket money. That doesn't mean that all of their needs are not provided for. It's just the first time they have had to live in the real world, and they don't like it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Their parents saved money, They have loans and scholarships. They work.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My parents made me save money for college, pretty much from birth, I worked part-time, had roommates, and didn't live in the nicest apartments (but they were still decent). I did not have any loans. My parents helped some, but mostly with gas and other car expenses. I also lived in a college town, and apartments there tended to be cheaper than what you would find in a non-college town. Other students had loans, but most I knew worked part-time all through the year or took summers off of school and worked full-time during the summer.

Not all students have the option to live on campus. The dorms filled up fast at my college, and not all freshmen were able to get a room in the dorms. I got lucky and got on the overflow, so I lived in the dorms for the first 2 years. I spent my last year and a half of college in apartments.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2011