Is it ok to give my 2wk old mylicon gas relief drops?

Adams-Momma

Asked by Adams-Momma at 3:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ped said it is perfectly safe. Beware of the recall (thanks to the other mom that let ME know about it). Check it out at http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/baby?next=11. Mylicon helps my baby, but the ped said it may not work on all. Remember...when it doubt, a quick call to the ped will make you feel better!

cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 4:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I started to use these when my son was about a month because something seemed to bother him and I wanted to help. I stopped after a week because I realized that they really were not helping but were more a mind set thing. My ped even said that these are just money makers for the companies but I still wanted to try. The cave parents never had these drops an their babies were fine. Talk to your ped because every child and parent (and ped) is different however my baby was perfectly alright withiut them. Just be patient. By the way, how would you feel if you were stopped from farting? It's a natural thing an we feel good about it even though it's unpleasant sometimes. GIve your baby the freedom to do it as well. Just comfort him/her. You are the best medicine for your baby.
    Jesenka

Answer by Jesenka at 5:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes. My mom gave them to me from birth and I gave them to my dd from birth. We both had bad baby gas issues. The ped told us to give them when needed. You should tell your ped if your baby is having gas problems just to make sure that your ped says it's ok.
    mistynkennedy

Answer by mistynkennedy at 8:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Are you joking?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• yes...for sure
    ann2000

Answer by ann2000 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Mylicon is safe to try, although it doesn't do much for the majority of babies. When my newborn had gas (which was painful for her), I tried to eliminate foods from my diet that can create gas. This helped a lot. And if you're bottle feeding, you can ask your doctor about switching to a gentler formula. I hope that helps :)
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I found it did not do anything for my baby. If he has bad gass/colic ect Just ask your Dr. for Zantec. I know everyone says its horrable for your baby and they will cut and paste all the dangers but let me tell you. It was a life saver for me and my son. We both suffered for 2 months with his gas pain untill i got it for him if I knew then what i know now I would of given it to him at 2 weeks old. He was off it at 5m. Why let your baby be in pain?
    KittyCalais

Answer by KittyCalais at 10:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes it's safe to try. I found that gripe water worked better for my son though. It's also supposed to be made of more natural ingredients. I started trying them with himat a week old I think it was.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I forgot to mention that chamomile tea with a little sugar calms down the stomach and intestines (I use brown sugar). It is very safe. It is also good if your child is constipated. You can also try fennel tea. It is supposed to help with gas.
    Jesenka

Answer by Jesenka at 10:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008