Do you cook with your kids?

Sometimes, she actually helped me make the banana bread. I'm about to get her in the kitchen more now that she is getting older.

cocobrown28

Asked by cocobrown28 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I sure do! I let my oldest daughter measure things like flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, brown sugar, etc, and then the youngest pours it in the bowl. My daughter (the 5 year old) is learning fractions just from helping her bake with me! I let them take turns mixing ingredients, and then my oldest is allowed to crack eggs and pour cake batter into cupcake papers. There's more that I let them help out with that I haven't mentioned, but if I'm making or baking something, I try to involve them whenever I can. It's bonding time, it's learning time, it's tasting time, it's messy time, it's great! =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Yes*~... even if they are simply sitting back and watching... they are still learning!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I let my son pour in ingredients once I've measured them and, for something like cookies or frosting, he can stir it. He loves to feel included in stuff like that. He tries to help fold laundry too. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• all the time even if its just buttering a pan etc ....Got to teach her to be independent :)
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I always cook with my kids and they are now old enough to cook on their own. My DD made brownies the other day all by herself. The only part she needed help with was the oven and she even put them in the oven, just needed help turning the oven on.

I love cooking wiht my kids!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sadly, no. Or at least not yet. I've tried baking cookies with the kids and with a tiny kitchen, it just doesn't work. The kids have an easy bake oven...but even that becomes an issue. I'm waiting till either we get a bigger kitchen or the kids are older to be around the burners. They do stir the food for me and add the rice to the rice cooker.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Just the baking, thats the only thing they are interested in :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Not really, I'm not patient enough. DH is the one who's more open to letting them help.
    Anonymous

• no. Honestly it bugs me to have help int he kitchen. Every one in a while I will let the make something like put toppings on a pizza or stir cake batter but it drives me nuts each time because I know I can do it faster. I know. I'm horrible!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• That's great to hear, everyone. It teaches kids to be independent and it's so fun, especially when they get excited about eating something that they help to make. :)
    cocobrown28

Comment by cocobrown28 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011