My two year old has craddle cap!

I'm going anon because I'm so embarrassed. We give him baths 2 times a week, but my husband has been giving them and I'm not sure how well his hair is getting washed. He has shaggy hair and I just noticed it tonight as I was brushing his teeth - actually I felt a cracker in his hair and then noticed the craddle cap. I'm going to get his hair cut, but how should I get rid of it. he's a little bigger and has a lot more hair than a baby so I'm not sure if I should do the baby oil/baby brush thing... Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had cradle cap when he was only a few months old and nothing worked! Finally my doctor said to try Selson Blue Shampoo and that cured him right away. I had to use it only once in awhile and he was fine. Just be careful not to get it in his eyes b/c it will burn.
    CSUZANNE813

Answer by CSUZANNE813 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• it is not unusual for some kids, especially those who come from families with sensitive skin, excema, and allergies, to retain the cradle cap for a long time. Don't be embarrassed . . it really has nothing to do with cleanliness. IYou can help clear it by putting some olive oil on his scalp when his hair is dry and rub it into the area. After 30 minutes, give him a bath, and lightly use a washcloth with baby soap on his scalp. A lot will come off. then, be sure to comb his hair after the bath. It will improve quickly.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Both of my kids had cradle cap, my daughter had it the worst. Her doctor told me it would go away on its own, but as you can see, it doesn't. Baby oil scares me because I once read or saw (can't remember) that it is poisonous if swallowed and I am too much of a worry wart to try that product. Anyhow, my daughter loved sesame street so we just had to sit down a couple of sessions (usually during Elmo's world) and I would comb her head and the teeth would pick up those nasty yellow crusty spots. to be honest, she still has some because it comes back. But my son's doctor said Head and Shoulders, the blue bottle, and a little bit worked for him. Perhaps I should try it on my daughter.
    mamamary1020

Answer by mamamary1020 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• That is not cradle cap. That's simply dry scalp. Try some tea tree products from a salon. They are all natural, no medicated product at all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• my son had it bad when he was younger (and no its not dry scalp musicmom, its actually the opposite, its oily scales. I bought some cradle cap shampoo and use it a couple times in the bath and then shampoo as usual. it worked pretty well at loosening the scales.
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Heck my Daughter is almost 4 and still has a little bit. I pick it off when she is watching tv and doesnt notice.
    OliviasMommy611

Answer by OliviasMommy611 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Its probably from his head not getting washed well. When my daughter started washing her own hair I noticed one day that there was "stuff" on her scalp. I realized she wasnt getting the shampoo really down there all the way to her scalp & she wasnt rinsing well. I suggest you give him a bath yourself & more often & that will probably solve the problem immediatly.
    Anonymous

• It's not from not getting washed well. It's from not getting rinsed well. It can also be caused by allergies. Have you switched shampoos recently? When my 19 month old gets it we rub olive oil into her head and let it sit for at least 10 minutes then we use a fine toothed comb to comb it out.

other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011