What is the perfect age to get your child a puppy?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 8:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always heard that you should wait until the youngest child is 5. That being said, my youngest will be 4 in a few weeks and we just got a 5 month old puppy =) I also wanted a dog for the kids to grow up with. This isn't my kid's dog, this is a new addition to the family, we are all responsible for him, of course, me the most, but I most certainly knew that going in, lol. Its been about 2 weeks and he's fitting right in, we all love him.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would say when they are old enough to be responsible for the puppy...start with a fish or a hamster and see how they take care of it, if they shwo responsibility for it them I would consider get a puppy....
    Manoella

Answer by Manoella at 8:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• when they move out of your house...lol...otherwise you'll be the one taking care of it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was just curious about opinions. We just got our 3 year old a puppy. We discussed it at length, and although I know I'll be taking care of it, we wanted it this early for 2 reasons. To start teaching responsibility, and to let them grow up together. Poor puppy....she's carried him around ALL DAY.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I say anytime...you'll be taking care of it regardless. Our boys love our pup and she loves them to death!
    bmwmom

Answer by bmwmom at 8:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Never! my dog is sooooo annoying! My daughter begged us and we got our Lab-doodle mix when she was 4. the only thing she seems to cooperate with is walking her (with a gentle lead of course. this was the best method for a child to walk a dog). This dog creates sooo many cleaning chores for me everyday, but I would never get rid of her. Basically if I could reflect I would say when a child is 7 they may be ready. No earlier than that.
    mamamary1020

Answer by mamamary1020 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• There is no "perfect age". Every kid is different. When they are responsible enough to at least HELP care for the dog, then is the time to get one. And that's if they are asking. lol. I would get one whenever if you're the ones that want the dog. I just think if a kid wants a dog, they should have to prove they're responsible. "Mommy, why don't you have to start with a fish?"
    "Because. Who do you think took care of you this long?" lol.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Well good lucky with the puppy,... for me, it didnt work, epcially cause after my son was 3 1/2 I found out I was pregnantu again and during my whole pregnancy the dog was a pain to be cleaning up after and my son could care less about the puppy after 6 months, then my daughter was born and after a month of not beaing able to sleep cause she was having cough attacks in the middle of the night and was on albuterol for over a month, nebulizer, humidifiers, vaporizer we foudn out she was allergic, so the dog had to go...
    Manoella

Answer by Manoella at 9:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When they can take care of it. Maybe try fostering some first that way you can see if the child will take care of a puppy and it is not permanent.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My child didn't get hers until she was 10.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011