How Can i help My child with reading comprehension?

He is 6 years old reads really well but is having trouble describing what happens at the beginning,middle and the end of the story

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 9:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask lots of questions- who, when, where, why or how throughout the story.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• MIne has the same issue...but he is 4.... what I try to do is asking questions throught the book to make sure he is "grasping"...as opposed to wsaiting until the end...
    Manoella

Answer by Manoella at 9:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My daughter had the same problem. I started asking her what happened on every page that she read. I would also write on a piece of paper questions like. What happen on page three, who had the dog, why couldn't they go outside to play? Etc. I'd make her write out the answers on paper so she better understood, it helped her out a lot.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 9:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Start by reading a paragraph and asking a question. Then after a week, read 2 paragraphs and ask a a question...keep extending the time until he can get through an entire story or book. Some kids just have issues with comprehension. My son is 14 and has issues with comprehension but can read at a college reading level. He comprehends at a 9th grade reading level. He is in tutoring to get him more even. There are workbooks you can get at Walmart for Reading Comprehension that could help. Ask the teacher for ideas and extra worksheets to do at home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Eeck*~ ... Either a thought bubble or Venn diagram type deal on a blank piece of paper?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011