Would you rather buy in bulk or buy in normal sized portions like at vons?

don't you think if we all bought in bulk, we could all save a little packaging?
i am going to change my lifestyle and start buying in bulk, but wheres the best place to store it? there's not enough room just in the pantry. and where are the best places to buy in bulk, costco? where else?

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 9:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• As a family of 6 we definately prefer to buy in bulk. We have plenty of cabinet space, 2 refridgerators, and a deep freezer that we keep fully stocked. With 4 kids I want to go grocery shopping as little as possible.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh our favorite store is sams
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We buy in bulk when we can. I keep sugar in old tomato sauce jars in the basement. Have a special container for the giant Costco 25lbs of bread flour, etc…I also try to can as much as possible in the summer from either my garden or the local market so I don't have to buy cans/jars of things like salsa, sauces, green chili, jams in the winter.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i buy at cotsco bulk items like coffe toilet paper paper towels. I like to eat fresh and rarely eat stuff that comes out of a can.
    When it comes to meat or chicken I go the same way. Don't like to store food for to long on fridge. That is just me. I understand you do same money in some bulk items but no I wont compromise freshness to same a few bucks
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 10:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Bulk
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ~*Bulk*~... and we package things off into the big freezer
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I prefer bulk but sometimes don't have the money to buy as much as I'd like. What are some of yall's freezer meals? I like lasagna- freezes well.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I buy in bulk, but not just in large items. I also buy things like flour and spices from the bulk bins, so I only buy what I need. I make a list for the week, and I include about how much I need. This keeps me from spending money on a 5 lbs bag of spelt flour when I only need 1/2 cup for a new recipe. Same with obscure spices I only have one recipe for. For things I use a lot of, I buy one larger package of it, then once that is empty, I buy from the bulk bins and refill those. Freezers are great, too, for things like meat, bread, veggies, etc. We have a pantry out by the garage where we can store canned goods, paper goods, etc. Look to see if there's a restaurant supply store in your area, like Cash & Carry. Great bulk stuff at even lower prices than Costco.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have a family of three.. and i don't have the space to buy my perishables in bulk... but i LOVE buying toilet paper in bulk.. and diapers.. wipes.. and some canned goods. It really helps in the long run... My boyfriend gets paid weekly.. so its nice to not spend money EVERY week on.. toilet paper... gives us a little extra to do fun stuff here and there.. :)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It depends. We're a family of three, so I hardly buy fresh food in bulk (I don't have the freezer space). Also, I compare the per unit price at Costco's versus Target or our local grocery store and usually buy from the cheaper place.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011