My heart is broken & I just dont what to do anymore? HELP

Well my son is 6 years old he will be 7 in April his attitude is beyond horrible he is rude, aggressive, and sometimes violent to other children. For instance he spit on a sleeping child for no reason and of couarse he got in trouble for it but I dont know what to do. I am a single mother his father see's him when he feel like it so maybe once a month if that Help any advice what can I do?

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 9:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know it's hard to be the only responsible parent and he may be looking for dad's approval.I would make sure he knows how much you love and support him no matter what, but that you will not tolerate his disrespectful behavior. Let him know what your expectations for him are and what the consequences will be when he doesn't behave accordingly. Then make sure you follow through.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you talked with the child? Children don't know how to express themselves when things are bothering them so they act out. Maybe he just misses dad.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You should go to counseling maybe your son is been dragging something that happen to him and he has no idea how to deal with it. Talk to a professional about your childs behavior . I know a kid in my daugthers class ( second grader) who had alot of issues and he used to hit other kids and be really mean well they got some help for him and the school assigned a person to be with him the whole time so he doesn't interrupt or disturb students . I heard he is doing really well he needed attention and he knows that if he is good he gets positive feedback .
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 9:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am sorry you are dealing with this, and I imagine that something is bothering our son emotionally. I would try to find him some help, like a counselor, who specializes in children. If money is an issue you can often find one who takes sliding scale payments based on income, but it can be difficult. I think it'd be worth the money if it helped him. You could also call your school counselor and see if they can help! Often they have psych degrees and would also know of resources for you.

Best wishes.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• maybe he needs counseling
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm sorry. My advice is to address every misbehavior and punish him every single time- consistency consistency consistency. Sounds like you're going to be starting from square 1, so it's going to take some time, and he will probably retaliate but you need to be strong, and consistent. It will be probably a few weeks of sheer hell, but once he realizes he doesn't run the show you'll have a much better behaved child and you and he will be much happier. If he's been raised with time-outs, then I'd say it's not working and you need to give him spankings. I'm so sorry, try reading the book "Don't make me count to 3". Did I mention to be consistent. The the single most important factor in parenting I think. When you say no, make sure you uphold that every single time, don't waver. Best of luck to you!!!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• hugs

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, it sounds to me like he is upset about something. Counseling will help alot. I would refrain from any type of physical punishment, including spanking, because that will reinforce that hitting and violence are the way to get people under your control. You don't want to push him in that direction.
    Start by talking to him to see if anything is bothering him. Talk to his teacher and the school counselor. They can help you come up with a plan.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011