Do you think it's bad for parents to give their kids a name that's unique, or has an unusual spelling?

My name is Malinda, with an "a" instead of an "e". I've gone through life correcting people,and swore I'd never do that to my kids. Oldest, I didn't. My daughter is Brianne, when she was in 1st grade, her teacher kept wanting to call her Brianna. At the parent conference, she told me one day my daughter stood up and said, "my name is Brianne, if my momma wanted me named Brianna, she'd of put an "a" at the end of my name instead of an "e". LOL. Can't argue with that kind of logic. My youngest son is Kyndel,and I spelled it different on purpose. Most spell it Kendall, and even though I said I wouldn't, I couldn't help myself. Of course, his middle name is James,and he goes by KJ, hates his name. LOL. Oh well, live and learn.

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Baby Names

• I had Gweneth Paltrow's daughter's name, Apple. what was she thinking. I think it's great to name your child unique names as long as they make sense. i can't stand names that blend the father's name with the kid's name, it just never seems to work out.
    cocobrown28

Answer by cocobrown28 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't say it's bad..its dumb!! Its NOT cute when they're 40 or when go out and look for a good serious job. JMO.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 10:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes I think it's wrong. Especially when at a job interview. I mean imagine sitting in a lobby and hearing Dasheeka Johnson. Seriously? I did the interview test with my daughter I said her name out loud and I'd hire her based on her name...lol!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 10:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Unusual or unique names & spellings are personally not for me. However, I chose an "old" name that is not popular for my son. I agree with the mom who mentioned the interview test. I also try to think of teachers reading it; if they will be able to pronounce it correctly on sight.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When I had surgery last summer one of the nurses assistants was named I kid you not LATRINA and you kept hearing on the intercom LATRINA ROOM 5 BATHROOM ASSISTANCE my mom and I were cracking up, well I was trying not to crack up since I was all stitched up but latrine = bathroom and that poor girl got called for bathroom duty over and over again all us big bariatric surgery post ops needing to get to the bathroom.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am with you . . . definately seems better to have a more unusual name then one that 5 other kids in the class are named.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• She probably was thinking "apple of my eye" and Gwyneth is not common but it is a pretty name. I think giving your child a name, you should choose something they would earn respect with, lkike you mentioned - at a job interview...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I worked as a tutor and I have to say there is a difference in unique names and bad names. Unique names I have no real problem with because most Unique names are not spelled differently. They are spelled as they sound. Bad names to me are when someone mispells a name on purpose to make it unique. I have seen people make lets say MacHanzy or Mckenzie, but they want it pronounced the way they want it pronounced even though rules of grammar say no. That makes me insane. I didnt do that to my kids, and my grandkids are have names spelled the way they sound.

Answer by gemgem at 10:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Nope my sons name is Ayden Hummer Lee and my daughter is Brittney spelled differently. I am prego again and if the baby is a girl I will name her Jenessa if the baby a boy the baby will be named after my hubby
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am a Jennifer and wow did I HATE all the other Jennifers growing up. Myself I prefer classic but unique names. My three are Jameson, Justine and Jocelyn. People are always wanting to call Jameson a nick name and he has to say "Its just JAMESON"
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011