Carseat to a booster seat?

I know every state has different laws about it but at what point do or did you move your child to a booster seat? my son is really wanting to sit in one and he is over 30lbs and about 36in tall.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 10:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We moved my son to a booster around then. Just be aware, though, that it can be really uncomfortable to sleep in a booster . . . so the longer you wait, the better.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• 4 yrs and 40 pounds is recomended in every state.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It is much safer to keep him rear-facing as long as possible (most seats go to 35lbs now), then harnessed forward-facing (again, most go to 65lbs). At 3, I don't think he's ready for booster training. To use a booster he must be able to sit properly 100% of the time, that means no falling asleep in the car either. On top of that, his body is not developed enough to be safe in just a booster, and I believe the law states under 40lbs must be in a child seat.
    jessihernandez

Answer by jessihernandez at 10:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The longer you wait the safer he is. I know that they get impatient and want to change but my 4 year old is still in a harness as much as she wants to change I know that the seat is safer than a booster.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i like the harness too
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• He is WAY too little for a booster seat...
    Almost all states say children must be at lear 4 years AND 40 lbs... the 40 lbs limit is highly important, before that weight children are too light and they slide UNDER the seatbelt in the event of a crash
    IN addition, most boosters won't fit a child that small properly, putting him at high risk for injury... the seat belt need to lie flat across his lap not ride up on the belly and needs to cross midline at the shoulder... not cut in at the neck or fall too far off the shoulder... I would be shocked if you could find a properly fitting booster for a 2 year old! My son is bigger than you son... 2 years, 35 lbs and 39 inches and there is no way a booster would fit him.
    Finally... boostering a child has a LOT to do with maturity.. a child is not mature enough to sit properly in a booster until they are at least 4-5 years old. They need to sit up 100% of the time and not fidget.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We just recently bought our son 2 booster seats (one each for our vehicles).
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• 4 and 40 for a booster. And even then some kids arent ready...... My daughter is 20 months old and is rear facing and will be till 40 lbs.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son just recently grew out of his 5-point harness size wise. He is 4 years old. We just converted his seat to the high back booster. It's best to keep them in a 5 point harness until they have reached the height or weight limit for their seat.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011