Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Filing a lien on his tax money?

when i left my ex, i was told that his tax money would automatically go to me if he was behind on child support, but then my SO was talking to a friend who's sister was going through this and said she had to file a lien, does anyone know more info about this? i live in ca if that helps

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (2)
  • Call your Domestic Relations office and tell them he filed a tax return and he is getting a refund. They will take care of it.

    Answer by suijuris at 10:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

  • Once your ex hits a certain amount in arrears, the child support agency will intercept his tax refund and give you what he owes. I have never had to file a lien on my ex's tax refund, it has always been automatic. A lien can be placed on his home, property, vehicles if he is really behind. Check with your county's child support agency to get the most accurate information.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.