Are you an emotional eater?

Is there any one else that struggles with eating for emotional reasons?
Whenever I have a fight with the husband, my children stress me out or I don't sleep enough I go straight for the fridge. I have tried stocking my house with healthy snacks and no sweets but I still find myself eating.
Anyone else like this? How do you help control this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm working REALLY hard to overcome it, after 30 years of it. I have to stop and ask myself every time if I'm eating because I'm hungry, or because I'm bored/sad/angry/happy, etc. It helps to make myself conscious of WHY I am eating, and paying attention to hunger signals. Keeping my hands busy helps, too. I also agree low-cal popcorn can be great for this- takes time to eat one piece at a time, and it's crunchy and salty. Make a rule you only eat at the table, not in the car, not on the sofa, and don't do anything else at the same time, or you won't pay attention to your hunger signals. Planning your meals and snacks ahead of time can also help- I do this now, and it's made a huge difference. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I always lose my appetite when things like that happen, but I would suggest finding another way of calming down/reliving stress
    Jackmother239

Answer by Jackmother239 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yup. That would be me. I have to keep sweets out of the house. Also, I try remember how I feel when I have eaten too much. That can be a great deterrent.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I also struggle with this, always have, though i have gotten better i just try and stop myself and think before i go and get fast food or something else i know is gonna make me feel terrible after i'm done eating it.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I had lapband surgery. I never could get it under control. I agree with finding something else to do. They told us to stay away from the TV the first few weeks after surgery so we wouldn't be tempted by all the food commercials, they're right, wow.

Try only eating at the table and only with a knife and fork, putting the silverware down between bites and chewing every bite well well well.

If you feel like you need volume go to down on celery, carrots or even fat free popcorn. Now I suck down the creamsicle type popsicles that are about 40 calories. Even if I need three its just over 100 calories and takes a lot longer to eat than cookies for example.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Only when I am bored, that is why I try to find something else to do...even itf it's walking through Barnes and Noble or Walmart. I also read and once I get into a book, the rest of the world disppears and I forget to eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I eat when i'm bored.. I just make sure that i have somewhat healthy snacks.. and try to keep myself occupied with other things.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes. I joined Overeaters Annon. (OA). It runs off the same 12 steps of AA, because it is a compulsive behavior that can be managed with tools. If you want more info, pls pm me. There are online meetings & great books you can read that will help. xo
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• oh yeah, especially now that i dont drink, i run right to the chocolate and cookies whenever i get stressed.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes sadly at times I can be
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011