OMGOSH :( RSV

Took my son (2 years old) to the dr tonight b/c he has had the worst non stop cough ever. Well they diagnosed him with RSV. They prescribed him albuterol for his neubulizer machine and put him on a liquid steriod to take by mouth as well. I was just wondering for you parents who have had a child with RSV how long did the fever last? My son is going on 2 days straight of fever and tonight it has been its highest at 102. :( I literally just cry thinking about it and seeing him so sick and nothing comforts him :(

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's very contagious. I'm surprised they sent him home since he needs to be medically monitored. I was at the hospital two weeks ago and there were three little ones there with rsv. Sorry but your doctor is an idiot. That baby needs to be in a children's hospital.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I am sooo sorry. It breaks my heart when the babies are sick. Find out where your nearest pediatric urgent care and hopsital are . . . just in case the breathing becomes an issue. Make sure you give the meds. This season, it seems like the fever is 2 to 3 days . . . hopefully your little one will be over it soon.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When my LO had RSV, he was hospitalized for a week and had to stay in one of those oxygen tents. I'd think about taking him to the ER or somewhere to get a second opinion.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i hope the lil guy is better soon
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am a pediatrics nurse and we've seen a lot of RSV recently (the season is late this year). I disagree with some of these ladies, RSV does not always require hospitalization... infact most children do NOT need to be in the hospital... it's more often for very young babies, those who are under a year old... but sometimes we see older children.
    It does of coarse make for a very miserable baby... I would give Tylenol and Motrin for comfort, especially before bed so he can get a good nights rest. DO neb treatments as prescribed and you might also want to go and buy some regular saline... what we do sometimes when a child is coughing a lot is give them saline nebs... just regular saline, no medication. It helps loosed the thick secretions and calm the coughing.
    Use a humidifier in his room, prop him up on pillows when he sleeps to help keep things draining, and keep him drinking.
    Use saline in his nose if it's super snotty.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• cont...
    When it's time to go to the doctor:

If you notice increase work of breathing...
    - retractions - pulling in of the skin at the neck, between the ribs, or under the ribs --- if you see any of this you need to go in ASAP
    - count respiration's- count how fast your child is breathing when he's calm (not crying or being active) count for a full 60 seconds... if it's greater than 50, wait a couple of minutes and count again. If it's still above 50 then you need to go in.
    - if he becomes lethargic - like a limp noodle he just doesn't care what you do it's a sign that you need to bring him in
    - finally, if you instinct is telling you something isn't right, listen to it... you will know.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2011