Tips on getting a kid to bed....

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and bedtime is a five hour long frusterating process. I put them down but they wont stay down losing toys or priviledges doesnt seem to phase them. Any ideas?

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 11:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you read books before bed to get them settled down, classical/soothing music? And..how much sleep do they get a night, is it possible that they just aren't tired yet. I set bedtime about 15 minutes later and it made all the difference for me-we incorporated a wiggle/tickle time where its 5 minutes of energy draining kicking, yoga, running or whatever it takes to get the last of the squirms out before bed.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am interested in seeing what the ideas are myself...my 6 yr old fights his bedtime no matter what the routine is he just will not fall asleep
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've been having the same issues with my almost 4 year old daughter. It's quite frustrating.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You feed them supper, you bathe them, you read them a story, and you put them to bed. You tell them they don't have to go to sleep, but they do have to stay in the bed. If they get up, you spank their little butts and you put them back to bed, repeating that they don't have to go to sleep, but they do have to stay in the bed and be quiet. Repeat these steps until they get the message and learn to respect and obey their parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• what my hubby and i do is we put up a babygate to keep him in his room and i have recently only let him have x number of things to play with and if he dumps his toy bens he has to clean them upand lay down with nothing to play with, if he does it again, toys are gone. there are times where he will stay up past midnight but he will be up bright and early 7am or so the next day with no problem...tried no nap but that just gave us a 5am wake up call....
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I agree with NannyB
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 1:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I appreciate the honest input but we dont believe spanking is a healthy option for our kids. They are very good little girls normally and they listen in every matter but this.
    NightOwlMama

Comment by NightOwlMama (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2011