What do you do to safegaurd your kids from your swimming pool?

A friend gave us a 10 ft wide pool that is 2-3 ft deep. I want to keep my kids safe...what can I do? My daughter (4) is a climber, so even though we have a 4 ft fence on all sides of it, I'm still afraid she's going to go for the pool. Any suggestions on what to safeguard my kids?

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 11:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• She's old enough for swim lessons. Might be worth the investment. From there, all you can do is fence it in and keep an eye on her.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• put a chain lock or alarm on the back door
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• * although we had a chain lock on ours and my 2 1/2 yr old brother decided he wanted to swim one morning before anyone was up, so he dragged a chair to the door and managed to get the lock undone... *we did not have a fence around our pool though so he was able to get in once he got outside
    (30 yrs ago)

if you have both that's about all you can do- and always watch her when she's in it...and also the swimming lessons that were mentioned would be good too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Well, we have an inground pool and I had a company come and put a fence around it. It doesn't ease my mind completely, but helps. I would add a lock on the back door. Maybe put a saftey cover over it or an alarm that sounds if something hits the water.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Keep reminding her of the rules and swim lessons if she already isn't enrolled. We bought a new house last year that has an in ground pool. First thing we did was have a company specializing in pool fences/covers come by and fence off that part of the yard.

I think there are also some door alarms you can install yourself.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• time to teach her how to swim if you know how take her in the pool with you and show her how to do the basics if not then swim lessons are great
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011