Solids question...

So my son is 4 months old and he is just starting on cereal ( and no I don't want to hear about how cereal isn't necessary or he is too young) My question is how long do I do cereal for and when do I add in veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes and squash?)

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 11:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You kind of answered your own question with this. You don't have to try cereal, so you can add in veggies whenever you feel comfortable. You should start with green ones first according to our pedi. Peas, green beans, etc and work into sweeter ones like carrots and squash.

Make sure and give it 5 days before introducing any new food. So say day 1 you do cereal and then day 6 you can add something in. This is to make sure if there are any allergies, it's much easier to figure out what the allergy is to.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I started my son on cereal at 4 months and I started adding veggies to it around 6 months. Idk the recommended age to start anything but you can kinda get an idea from your child's doctor.

LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You can add veggies as soon as you like. No sooner than one week after the introduction of the cereal.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I did when my doctor told me to

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Babies have a tongue thrust reflex that prevents them from choking, around 4 to 6 months it should go away( some babies earlier). Try cereal on a spoon first, if it all comes right back out then babies not ready yet. Once baby starts doing good with cereal then add veggies and fruits. Babies can have cereal until they are 2 years old.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 12:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• For at least the first six months, a baby's nutrient needs are best met by mother's milk or formula. Human milk contains the right balance of nutrients plus antibodies that help protect the newborn's health. Mother's milk changes as her growing baby's nutritional needs change.

Somewhere between four and six months, but probably closer to six months, your baby will be ready for solid foods. By that age, he will be able to move food to the back of his mouth to swallow and his digestive system will be better able to handle solids. You baby will give you signs he is ready for solids. To start, he will be much more aware of his surroundings. He may reach out for your food, put objects in his mouth, watch you closely as you eat and seem hungry after feedings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• when introducing new foods make sure you do it slowly and one at a time. Also, if he doesn't like it the first time try introducing it several times this will help him to get used to the new food and make a true determination whether he likes it or not. Of course don't keep introducing a food if you see any allergy symptoms
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011