My grandmother told me asking for gifts for my baby shower was wrong and rude, and that i shouldnt be having a baby shower for my second child. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject.

CEGrissim

Asked by CEGrissim at 11:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Entertainment

• i dont think its asking persay its just saying what you would like to have and even though the girls are so close the new baby still deserves new things not just hand me downs ... if people get you bigger items cool if not at least you have them
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think all babies should be celebrated!

I also think as far as asking for things, if your children are close in age, it might be weird to ask for big ticket items like swings, bouncers, cribs/crib bedding, travel systems, stuff like that, especially if you had a generous baby shower before with your first child. I mean diapers, clothes, things like that are a different story, I think a diaper party would be awesome.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i see nothing wrong with having a baby shower for your 2nd child. Asking for gifts on the other hand has always struck me as odd. If someone wants to give a gift that's good but to ask for it is a bit much.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Ignore her, do what makes you happy.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 12:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I am not asking for anything big actually my mother in law chose to but these things for me, mostly i have on my registries things like blankets, toys, health kits, bottles the basics that i really could use a few of.
    CEGrissim

Comment by CEGrissim (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I didn't have a baby shower for my second, even though they were 5 years apart. People brought small gifts when they came to see the baby, but that was pretty much it. I had to buy a new crib, stroller, everything since we waited between kids and had gotten rid of it all. I know several people that have had showers for subsequent children, but don't remember if they registered or just threw a function to celebrate.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 12:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't think there's anything wrong with having a baby shower for your second child. If it's been a few years since the last child or it's a different sex then there's still lots of things you're going to need. Besides who doesn't like going to baby showers? :)
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My grandmother thought it was bad that i gave my address for anyone who was unable to attend but wanted to send a gift, i didnt say anyone had to get them. We are trying to include my oldest so all i said was it was optional but if they chose to bring her a small toy or even just a book so she could feel like part of the group we would appreciate it.
    CEGrissim

Comment by CEGrissim (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If she is not giving the party, why should she worry about it? I am sure that there are basic things that you will need. How old is your other child? If it has been a while since you've had your first child, or you are having a boy instead, there are probably things that you may need that you don't already have. Go for it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Baby showers are for a first child. I agree all children should be celebrated but that should be done when meeting baby for the first time.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2011