How Common is it nowadays for teenage girls to experiment sexually with each other??

My oldest daughter is only 4, but I like to look at some of these other boards to get an idea of what is ahead. Some of the postings here plus a lot of what you hear in the media gives me the impression that all girls are messing around with each other. Is this valid or do most girls still stick to the opposite gender when experimenting? I'm only 36, but feel like I'm about 100 years old when I hear 20 year olds talk about how they and all there girlfriends experimented with each other "for fun" 4 or 5 years ago. When I was in highschool if word got around about a girl doing this, it would have been socially catastrophic for her. Now, I'm not homophobic and would not bother me if my daughter were truly a lesbian, but honestly this whole bi-curious experimentation thing seems pretty weird to me. I'm just wondering if it is really common/accepted by teenagers, and if I better start getting used to the idea now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I am 22 and never did anything like that and as far as I know my friends didn't either. But there were always rumors about people doing stuff like that going around school
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 8:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Contrary to all the hype, it is still perfectly acceptable and I believe even preferable to teach boys and girls from the time they are born that they are either male or female and that they should enjoy their sexuality as the sex they are born. I believe that it is our responsibility to teach our children and not just allow them to be taught by every person with whom they come in contact. If we establish our rightful place as parents, many of the alternative ideas lose their glow.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I guess what I'm wondering is how socially acceptable it is amongst teenagers. If a girl hooks up with one of her friends. Is everyone going to find out and gossip about it, or is it so common/mundane that it's not even rumour worthy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm 19. If a girl were to mess around with another girl it would be completely socially acceptable. It is pretty common so it may or may not start a rumor, just depending on who all is in the crowd. If it were to start circulating in a rumor then it would only bring fame to the people invovled. It's not exactly 'experimenting' because most of the time it is nothing but a party stunt performed to bring male attention.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I live in a small town and it is not the norm here. There were 2 girls in my daughters grade last year 9th graders who decided they wanted to experiment with eachother. However they decided to tell everyone about it so I think it was more for attention. Which they got alot of mainly negative. I think with it being acceptable in the main stream media a few will try it but I dont think its going to become a common thing.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think its a fad personally. I am around your age & if just didnt happen casually where I went to school. I never even heard rumors of any girls getting it on together yet when I returned to my 10 yr reunion, we found out pretty quickly who turned out to be gay...and it was never the ppl we imagined it would be. You hear about all these girls doing stuff now and it just seems to acceptable to everyone then they move on back to boys. I've seen it go on within my sons circle of friends (he's 17). He had a g/f & she broke up w/ him to go w/ a girl. then broke up w/ the girl and wanted him back!
    Anonymous

• well honestly i am 20 and when i was 5 - 9 i would kiss my girl friends. It didnt sexually stimulate me but it was more like practice for the boys.
    I am not lesbian but have experimented during my teens.
    It does happen, just make sure you talk to your daughter so she knows what she is doing is serious.
    Also, it may seem innocent but avoid letting her take baths with her friends. She needs to know her body is private and only she should see it.
    Anonymous

• I think it is normal to experiment with your girlfriends. Maybe I'm lesbian but I was never interested in what boys had, I was repulsed by it. I'm married now and I am very in love with my husband.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am 22 and when I was in high school if girls were to experiment with eachother it would be socially acceptable.

(And I live in a smaller town...little over 30,000 people).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Normal behavior. Get used to it.
    Anonymous