Do you think College Students who started wildfires in CA, should be charged?

http://news.aol.com/article/student-bonfire-blamed-for-1-wildfire/248202

"With a trio of once-ferocious wildfires reduced to mostly embers, authorities in Southern California shifted their attention from the blazes to their causes, and said a group of careless college kids was behind the first of them."

If local officials don't action of negligence, shouldn't the homeowners?

myame

Asked by myame at 8:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• They started the fire, they need to be responsible, plain and simple. Fires here in California aren't hard to start, we're always on "High Danger for Fire". The kids are old enough to know the consequences of their actions and don't need to let off lightly. Make an example out of them, send a message the the other college kids who think it might be fun to start a bonfire somewhere you're not supposed to. I am a mom of 3 kids and would make my kids resonsible for it if it were them, hopefully their parents have the smarts to do the same rather than try to "bail them out".
    Mom2SavRynShai

Answer by Mom2SavRynShai at 11:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 8:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Meant to say, started fires from carelessness.. Sorry

And yes, I do too!
    myame

Answer by myame at 8:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• "was responsible for the massive wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed 210 homes, including multimillion-dollar properties, authorities said."

~~~~
    I think every ONE of those Home Owners should take legal action against these kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't know what the law is about accidentally starting a fire, but I do think that the home owners good have civil suits against them. However, it would have to more about principal than about money because I highly doubt that three college students have the money to pay for all of the damage that was done.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• umm yeah they need to be held responsable. if not then they will not learn. Maybe they should have thought things out before they went and acted stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We lived in CA for years. "accidently" starting a fire there is a joke. It is high priorty, warning everywhere. Carelessness has to be pounished. Peoples lives are at risk. I would prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It depends on HOW it was accidentally started. I mean were the playing with fire and lighting stuff up for fun, and it just got away? Or was it something more innocent than that?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, they should be charged.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• An anonymous tipster led police to discover that a bonfire built by students — and never fully extinguished — was responsible for the massive wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed 210 homes, including multimillion-dollar properties, authorities said.

The tipster told police 10 students gathered a week ago near an abandoned home in the hills of Montecito, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Tuesday. They built a bonfire during the night and stayed until 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Thursday morning. By Thursday night, when "sundowner winds" took hold of it, the seemingly harmless blaze was on its was to destroying hundreds of homes.
    The students, aged between 18 and 22, apparently believed they had put out the fire before leaving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2008