Does anyone else have a Pug with horrible breath??

And what do you do about it!! I have asked the Vet. and had her teeth cleaned . The Vet. says some dogs just have bad breath.. but hers will make you want to vomit. We have tried all the doggy mouth washes and tooth pastes. We have also tried all the doggy treats for helping bad breath. So has anyone been through this and found something that worked? I love my dog to death but her breath is going to kill me : )

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Believe it or not--Probiotics will help. Bad bacteria in the intestinal track will leave the body 2 ways---by mouth & by passing gas. I use FortaFlora made by Purina. It smells good to my cats, so they eat it in their food. If your vet doesnt sell it, you can by it from pet stores or online. There are other brands of probiotics for animals as well, do a Google search for "canine probiotics". I get mine from my vet, but I also purchase many products from Entirelypets.com. They're 100% trustworthy, sell legit products, have good prices, & ship super fast. You can give pets human probiotics as well, but have your vet check all the ingredients first. Honestly they work! And like humans, pets need good bacteria in their intestines, especially while on or after being on, a course of antibiotics.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• every dog i have come across has horrible breath.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had a sheltie with deathbreath. Everyone tried telling me it was his teeth, or dogs have bad breath. It was not normal bad breath. Is there, or could there be any underlying conditions with the kidneys or liver?
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 1:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My puppy has some pug in him, and had terrible breath. After tlaking to my mom and brother (who have owned dogs longer than me) I switched his trainging treats. I was using soft treats, I started giving him harder treats for training and it has done wonders...his breath still isnt wonderful, but is any dogs?
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 8:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It could be her anal glands or vulva if either of them are bothering her and she is licking them. It could also be something with her GI tract. What do you feed her? If her food is loaded with corn and byproducts, it could be causing the bad breath. How often are you brushing her teeth? You may need to brush them more often...atleast every other day. I wouldn't put much faith in the treats marketed to clean teeth. It's like saying that people should eat cereal, chips, etc to clean our teeth. Doesn't make much sense, does it? Raw meaty bones are supposed to be the best thing to clean dogs' teeth, but I don't have any experience with that...maybe someone else who does will speak up.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, I agree with the suggestion to give probiotics (and/or digestive enzymes). I have given my dogs probiotics from Walmart (I forgot the brand name...they're for people, but don't have anything in them that will harm the dog...they're just plain Acidopholus). Blue Buffalo is a high quality food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• These are all great answers but... I have had her looked over from head to toe by the vet about this and nothing else seems to be wrong with her. I have switched her food three times. She is now on Blue Buffalo. She doesn't get treats at all we are past the training stage and she is overweight (slightly) But the treats really seem to beef her up. I have not tried raw meaty bones maybe I need to look into that. If anyone else has more suggestions that would be great : ) Or maybe I'm just going to have to live with her horrible breath.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011