Any good tips to help with potty training?

My daughter will be 2 in a month and about to start daycare. I need her potty trained before then so she can get accepted into her age group. However, she's not cooperating and is adamant that she doesn't want to be a "big girl" yet. My son was so much easier!!

sistasunshine

Asked by sistasunshine at 1:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Makeit fun for her and no pressure. Don't scold. Give her adequate time on the potty. Remember it takes awhile.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What did you do to make it fun??
    sistasunshine

Comment by sistasunshine (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Here is what a cafemom member told me, and it worked real good!
    So this is the Bible of potty training! It worked REALLY well for us. They keys to success are following every word to a T, patience, and consistency. If you have carpet, I recommend covering it plastic before you start. When we trained dd, she had over THIRTY accidents the first day, and 3 during her nap, so don't lose faith if it doesn't go right at first. Just tell yourself this is GOING to work, commit to it, and do it. Day 2, she had 6 or 7 accidents in the morning, and then something just clicked. He didn't have any accidents for a couple of days after that! Since then, he's had the random accident here and there, but he's doing AWESOME with it now. It's been only about 4 months, and we can do road trips and everything now. We keep a potty in the car for those stops when we're out and about, and it's come in handy, so I'd recommend that, too.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Be prepared to do NOTHING else for those 3 days. No TV, no internet, no computer, and you will say, "Tell Mommy if you need to go potty" 7,000 times each day. You still have to remind them for awhile after (even now), but only a couple of times a day, and it's wise to do it often when they're playing at the park or doing something else distracting. They get easily distracted and caught up in whatever, then they have an accident. DS had a few at play group at first, but he's fine now. Carry a few changes of clothes with you for awhile (socks and shoes included!).
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• This is what I did with my kids and it really seemed to work. First remember there are very few things that kids can control and potty training is one of them so if they feel forced they are going to resist.

I took my kids shopping for underwear and stickers, I let them pick out whatever they wanted for stickers and underwear. Then we put a calendar up in the bathroom and everytime they went they got to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X"amount of stickers they would get a special treat either mommy and me time, going out for ice cream, or I would make their favorite dinner.

I agree consistancy and patience are very important and maybe backing off just a little.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• make a rewards system with her .. nothing too complicated
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Great ideas! Thanks everyone. We're going to get started as soon as she wakes up this morning. Hoping it will go pretty good. I got those plastic covers for her undies b/c I think my husband would die of a heart attack if she had an accident on the furniture lol. Off on a potty training adventure!! :-)
    sistasunshine

Comment by sistasunshine (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• what i did is made a chart and put it in her room and everytime she used the bathroom i gave her a star and it worked and i was so roud of her
    proudmom487

Answer by proudmom487 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2011