• In the Spotlight:

does anybody have experience w/ a multi-belief marriage?

my fiance' and i are from different faith backgrounds. so far it hasn't really been an issue. i'm looking towards the future though and i can see where things can get icky...esp w/ our daughters.

so just wondering if anyone is of a diff faith than their SO/hubby and if so, how it's affected your relationship and if you have children, how it affects how you rear them.

thanks bunches for any input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I'm pagan and my husband is spiritual or agnostic. Seems to work out well for us.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my husband is catholic and im baptist and it works out fine with us. i take our daughters to church with me and we have decided that we will drill into there heads what we both beleive and the rest is all on them because no matter what you tell them when they are younger they will always grow up to have their own believes
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I always say our family is 'eclectic'- dh is agnostic from a Hindu background, I am Buddhist from a Christian background. We're different ethnicities as well as different faiths. I think that how well this kind of relationship works depends on the two individuals. For dh and I it works fine- we have been married for over ten years with three kids and both respect each other's opinions and beliefs and we agree on how we want to raise the kids. If either of us was seeking to change the other's mind or if we could not agree how to raise the kids I can see it being a problem, but we both respect each other's differences and we are both in agreement that we don't want to raise the kids with any particular religious dogma... we want them to know what belief systems exist and leave them free to explore them. I can see how it could get sticky depending on the beliefs/individuals in question but it has been fine for dh and I!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We both have different upbringings but, both love God-- so it isn't to hard we do a lot of praying for one another and God always meets us in the middle. We started to pray that God would bring us together spiritually and set aside our religious differences...He always does. At first I would get frustrated and so would he but we love each other and both know how important it has been having God in our marriage to make it work. We are growing together that is the best part about it all.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 10:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am pagan and dh is Lutheran... and things are well here... he doesn't go to any church and we answer all religious questions that may come up from our gs...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am Muslim, husband is Christian. We teach our child(ren) about both of our religions and will let them decide what they want to be as they get older. We dont force anything on our daughter and she is comfortable learning both for now. We also dont really hinder our parents from teaching our daughter anything either...But we believe that its our main responsibility to teach her and not everyone elses. I will also go to church with my husband on occasion and he will participate in our prayers also. But ultimately, we both love the Lord and will always put God first. SO I feel that if our daughter sees how much we love God that will transpire to her. In my honest opinion its easiest to raise your children in one religion at home, but you cannot pick who you fall in love with so we  live accordingly. Good Luck!!

MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My husband is Christian and I'm not anything, he teaches our kids the religious stuff and that's fine with me.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• In my experience, your best bet is to share as much information about ALL religions with your children as possible. Age appropriate of course, LOL. I'm an Atheist and I guess the best way to describe my husband is Apathetic Agnostic but I've spent time on a plethora of different religions. We explore different holidays and how they're celebrated around the world. I can understand why parents teach their children only what they practice, but I've been in on some conversations with other kids and their parents when the kids find out about other practices and it can get pretty hairy. Just be as honest as possible.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We share a little of both our beliefs but do not force them either way. The decision is entirely theirs to make when they are older. works out just fine. I will help them to research any beliefs system they want, but thus far the standard morals are enough.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm atheist my husband is agnostic...we are raising our kids as atheist.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008