Do you have pet insurance?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 4:17 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I would highly recommend pet insurance. I didn't have it for my first dog and got hit with over $5,000 worth of vet costs because she was diagnosed with a liver shunt. When I got my second dog, I immediately signed up and while she was healthy for two years, and didn't use it, she then developed an auto-immune issues and needed $3,000 worth of treatments (specialists included). I was so thankful I hadn't given up my insurance because it ended up saving me so much money (more than I had paid in premiums). I went into massive debt for my first dog and didn't have to with my second. It's worth it if you don't have $5,000 laying around. I use Trupanion, and would suggest checking them out if you are looking around. They also have a comparison chart that is really good when you are shopping around: http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/Why_Choose_Trupanion_Pet_Health_Insurance/Compare_Pet_Insurance_Companies/VPI-Comparison
    familyandfur

Answer by familyandfur at 2:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No. IMO once my pets are spayed or neutered and all the puppy shots done, it seems like a waste to me. I will only get it on a very young puppy that has never had shots or anything and after the first year we've (my family and I) have always canceled the insurance and have yet to regret that decision.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• we don't have a pet then why pet insurance:)
    A11

Answer by A11 at 5:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• NO!. I love my furry friends, but pet insurance is not needed. They got shots, checkups and everything else. Pet insurance is a waste of money.. if that is why your asking.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No, but I want it. My parents have it and it saves them so much money every year!
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I should say that last year my parents dog had a tumor that had to be removed. It wasn't a cheap process, but because of there insurance on him, they barely had to pay anything.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2011