Please Sign Petition For Grandparents Rights

Please Sign the Petition For Grandparents Rights Here

We urge the legislator to acknowledge that grandparents are in need of their representation.
One senator has said, "A strong relationship beween children and their grandparents is important to the development of the child and the emotional well being of the grandparents. Creating visitation rights for grandparents will ensure that this important relationship can be nutured." The legislator has tried and promised to continue her efforts to provide grandparents visitation rights. Others prefer to remain silent on the issue. Petition for change! Contact your local represenative at the legislative branch.

Link: http://www.gopetition.com/online/28781.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• The only way I agree with grandparents rights is if the other parent is deceased. My kids DO NOT go to see their maternal grandparents, and if they get to see them it is supervised. I think that should be a parents choice NOT the state or federal governments. We already have lost a lot of our rights as parents, why should they take yet another thing that is a parents decision away from us.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• So, do grandparents get rights taken away then also? Because there are a lot of bad parents as well as bad grandparents! I don't agree with this. If the parents want the kids to see the grandparents...great! If not, that is their choice!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm sorry. While I agree that grandparents are a vital part of a child's life, they are not the parent. It is up to the grandparents and parents to have / maintain a good relationship to ensure that kids get to see their grandparents. But, there are too many grandparents out there that do NOT respect the boundaries (they undermine a parent's authority, feel that they have the right to "spoil the kids in spite of the parent's wishes", play favorites with grandkids,, etc), or who were, frankly, dysfunctional, abusive (either physically, emotionally, or etc), or otherwise neglectful or downright crappy parents who, then all of a sudden, decide that now they want to be grandparents.

A parent has the final say in who they want around their kids - and that includes grandparents. Sorry.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• By the way, if you're a grandparent, then I'm assuming you were a parent. When you were raising your kids, if there had been a relative that you had decided was bad for your kids, would YOU have wanted the government to be able to demand that they get to see them?!?

My children (age 18 and almost 17) are very close to my dh's family. They have little to no relationship with my mom - her choice, which is fine, because, honestly, while I love her, she wasn't the best mom.... My dad never met my kids or my dh, and I only spoke to him once during my adult life. He asked then about "how his grandbabies were doing". Sorry, but you need to be a dad before you can be a grandfather. These relationships all show me the value of a good grandparent, the importance of keeping bad ones away, and how dysfunctional some can be.

I respectfully suggest if you aren't seeing your grandkids, work to fix your relationship with your kids.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sorry but can't sign that. I agree that grandparents should be part of a child's life but I think it has to be the parents choice.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Umm...no. And I have never read a study claiming that a grandparent's relationship is vital to a child's development. Grandparents already had their chance to raise a child. They need to let go.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No thanks. I dont think grandparents should have rights like this and I am a grandparent. If one of the parents is deceased and the grandparents can show they had an ongoing and loving relationship with the child then I am fine with them having the right to ask for visitation. Anything over that, no.

Answer by gemgem at 8:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Whether children see their grandparents should be up to their parents. The only time I can see even the possibility is in the case of a deseased parent. My ex is hardly around and his mom completely ignores my dd but if she could take her for a few hours, she would do it just out of spite. It kind of goes against the parents rights to chose who their children will be around. What's next? Aunt and Uncle visitation? If you agree to grandparent visitation, where do you draw the line?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't agree with this. I would never want my son around his paternal grandparents ever again. And I've made it very clear. I don't want them legally having rights to him when they have done nothing but try to ruin our family. After everything that has happened, I think it is the parent's right to choose whether or not the grandparents are in their kids lives. The grandparents are not the ones who gave birth to them so it is not their right. It's a privilege.

LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I figured I'd be the only one to disagree with this petition, but I see I'm not. My dh's mother is not part of our lives. She was unpleasant, to say the least, when she was part of our lives. During my last pregnancy I had little to know tolerance for her belittlement and bullying! So we reduced contact, emails and texts mostly. She then stopped responding to us at all. It's been almost a year and a half. My eldest ds misses her and was heartbroken. But the thought of her getting visitation is frightening to me. My parents are a huge part of my children's lives, they deserve rights. But not every grandparent does.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2011